92 GMC Sierra 1500 2WD Starter Issues Continues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mgezee1992

Reaction score
Over the last 3 days, I've changed my starter 4 times. Here is the order in which I bought and had to change them:

New Starter-Orielly's
Another new Starter- Orielly's
Reman Starter- Oreilly's
Reman Starter- Advance Auto

Why I am going through Starter? All wiring from the Battery to the Starter has been checked and cleaned up. The Battery is new as well. Its a Interstate Battery from Valvoline Car Care.

Please help me resolve this.

Thanks

Craig Faria

Reaction score
What’s going on as to why you’re replacing starter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, that seems unlikely to have that high of failure rate. Sometimes people change starters thinking it's the problem, when it could be something else.

I had an issue with my truck the other day. No crank. Immediately thought battery was dead, so I charged it. Along the way I had a bad starter relay and the starter was indeed bad.

But I only condemned the starter it until I got down there with a test light and confirmed that I was getting power when switching the key. I think this is the easiest way to test it. No need to remove it. If you are getting power and it doesn't crank. If you are not getting power down there, replacing starters is not going to fix the issue. Could be ignition switch or something else.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As said, DESCRIBE THE PROBLEM.

Very unlikely you got four "bad" starters.

My '97 needed wire-harness surgery on the purple wire connected to the "S" terminal of the starter solenoid. The wire was so corroded the solenoid didn't get enough power to engage. I had to splice in a three-foot section of wire, because I couldn't access the harness directly behind the engine--I had to cut 'n' splice up above the engine, and drape the new wire down to the starter solenoid.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
These trucks have a habit of corroding the wire inside the insulation . A wire can look perfectly normal and not do the job as Schurkey points out. One way to test would be to tap the wire where he says and run a bridge to the starter. If it works you then know its the wire for sure.

Is the battery really hot? Sometimes a borderline battery can turn on the lights and run the radio and still not start the truck. My bet though is that Schurkey is right. Be sure and bookmark the thread and let us know what it was. The body of knowledge here is incredible and every trick these trucks pull on unsuspecting owners needs to be documented.

awd1986

Reaction score
I had a similar problem. I got voltage to the S terminal but I think I have not enough amps to activate the solenoid. I used the voltage to run a relay and solved the problem. It was a temporary solution, but its been there for over year.