92 2500 6 lug 4x4 NV4500 built SBC ext cab short box long term build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can't believe I didn't see this thread yet man, guess I don't hang out in the members truck area enough. Will be keeping up with it now!
Thanks! It’s a beater, it’s been an off road farm truck for a long time but it isn’t rusty which is rare around here!

The sound of the NV-4500 while driving around is awesome it brings a guy back to the old school m-22 rock crusher movies! So pleased with my purchase!

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The truck I bought when I got out of the service and lived in Paradise, Ca. was a big rear window 65 Chevy shortbed fleetside pickup. It had an M22 Rock Crusher 4 speed in it and made that same noise. I drove it home to KC, Mo. and ended up selling it. Was the first pickup I ever owned and my one and only experience with the Rock Crusher 4 speed.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The truck I bought when I got out of the service and lived in Paradise, Ca. was a big rear window 65 Chevy shortbed fleetside pickup. It had an M22 Rock Crusher 4 speed in it and made that same noise. I drove it home to KC, Mo. and ended up selling it. Was the first pickup I ever owned and my one and only experience with the Rock Crusher 4 speed.
I’m guessing you enjoyed the gear noise and freedom shifting? I’m loving it

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I’m guessing you enjoyed the gear noise and freedom shifting? I’m loving it
I did like it. I could be in 4th and when I wanted to pass someone, I could slam it in to 3rd and never worried. It is hard to blow open a Rock Crusher. I forgot to say that it had a stock set up 350 in it that ran really good. Never a stutter.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did like it. I could be in 4th and when I wanted to pass someone, I could slam it in to 3rd and never worried. It is hard to blow open a Rock Crusher. I forgot to say that it had a stock set up 350 in it that ran really good. Never a stutter.
That’s awesome! Till this truck its been about 10 years since I’ve rowed the gears with a V8, it’s refreshing! I had a 2wd reg cab short box back in the day that had a healthy 383 and a NV-4500 which was a fun combo. It just snows so much here that I wanted a 4x4 this time around.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
To be honest, I had no idea what the transmission was till I bought it. My uncle was with me and said, "Buy the damn thing, I will explain later". When I was in the service, the only mechanical background I had was what my dad showed me around the family vehicles, like oil changes and such. Nothing major. I was a photographer in the Navy and on the USS Kitty Hawk. I drank beer when I got out, while in Paradise, Ca., and my uncle owned an auto repair shop. His background was he was an aircraft mechanic during the Korean War. He got tired of seeing me sitting on my ass and drinking beer. He put me to work in the shop and I learned in the 9 months I was there. I came back home to KC, Mo. and could not find a photo journalist job. I went to work in the shops and stayed there.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well after a bunch of time, research and thought I’m set on my plan for this truck. I’m lowering the rear 2” to make it sit level, doing a twin turbo SBC and painting the lower half of the truck rocker gaurd in gloss black, and the mid section dark blue. Leaving the top part alone. I had a shop rebuild the front end while I was working. Days off cost me more in lost wages vs the fees at the shop

I still need to do the brakes all around but it’s not be driven till I’m done the paint and engine swap.

So Holley had a sale on thier 304 stainless steel forward facing headers with a V band. I couldn’t even get long tubes without v bands for less! I’m taking the turbos off my race car and putting them on this. I could use larger turbos on the car anyways as my new engine is up about 100 Hp over the last one without boost.

Pics

Attachments

• IMG_3822.jpeg
    IMG_3822.jpeg
    55 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3821.jpeg
    IMG_3821.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3820.jpeg
    IMG_3820.jpeg
    45.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3823.jpeg