89 GMC shortbox - Cruiser - torque build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Install complete , went well no leaks ....quality pieces IMO . Bolted right up to the factory Y pipe. Surprisingly it isnt any louder than the factory manifolds and you feel a slight power increase right off idle then especially in the mid range and upper rpm where it just feels like its revving freer if that makes any sense. Number 6 and 8 could use a shorty plug probably but I put in a pair of DEI insulated boots as a precaution. The Accel shorty plug p/n is Accel 0574S-4 . The flange is .38 thick too .

Exactly my experience with a quality shorty as well. More power everywhere than manifolds but not as much average torque gain as long tubes. Tri-Ys build the most low-midrange torque but the only option was the $$$ Thorleys and I am not sure they make them any longer for a GMT400.

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Exactly my experience with a quality shorty as well. More power everywhere than manifolds but not as much average torque gain as long tubes. Tri-Ys build the most low-midrange torque but the only option was the $$$ Thorleys and I am not sure they make them any longer for a GMT400.

Not sure why shorties are panned so much - some people say they add "nothing" to the curves etc. Not my experience here at all. You see gains too. Its NOT night and day but you can definitely feel it .

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Decided to go all in ......repaint , color change GM MOND GRAY EFFECT 194V/GXR*. Truck was previously gunmetal gray . Too silver for me . The truck turned out to be very solid the body shop said . I love the darkness and flop of this paint in the sun compared to the previous color. So I guess I am all in and keeping her for awhile .

Last edited:

TexasRebel

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Decided to go all in ......repaint , color change GM MOND GRAY EFFECT 194V/GXR*. Truck was previously gunmetal gray . Too silver for me . The truck turned out to be very solid the body shop said . I love the darkness and flop of this pant in the sun compared to teh previous color. So I guess I am all in and keeping her for awhile .
Truck looks fantastic! Any more plans for it?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks buddy....... No I think Im done....while I think lowering looks great on others trucks I want this truck to be a truck -not an El Camino lol....... who knows maybe if I get bored I will lower it down the road but for now the stance stays .

TexasRebel

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks buddy....... No I think Im done....while I think lowering looks great on others trucks I want this truck to be a truck -not an El Camino lol....... who knows maybe if I get bored I will lower it down the road but for now the stance stays .
I love the lowered look, but honestly I think it sits nice how it is. If I were to do anything to it, it'd be maybe a 2 inch drop all the way around just to fill in some of the wheel well gap.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk