89 ECLB DRW (with 87 CCLB DRW) project start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Montana_k3500

Reaction score
So, I am recovering from having my gall bladder removed, getting ready to start tear down with my oldest son doing the heavy lifting. The 87 will be making the ultimate sacrfice and donating the engine, tires, and limited slip rear. It currently has frame issues, body issues glass issues, light and wiring issues....just an old rodeo hauler that is too far gone :( I have ordered a 4l80e, but an hoping for a vortec 7400/8100 to swap in with it. I have a line on an 8100 complete with comp and harness, so... in the mean time, i am putting in the other tb 454 and am planning a good shakedown. I would ask if anyone has a good line on dana 70 info, point me in that direction, as both trucks have one. Also, I am looking into swapping in some late model heated power leather seats. I had planned on the nnbs front end, but I think instead I will go with 98 gmc style grille on a fiberglass 400 front end and 442 scoops. I also plan on a sas, and just my luck, there are a ton of old fords around here growing rust for sport. I want to run worx triad 801 16's with 35" BFG AT/KOs. Also planned is a RW disc conversion. It will be frost white over something like a quasar blue, in the current paint scheme, with tinted windows. I also like the look of the quarter window slotted covers, and the old Lund Moonvisors. Id love to find a Racerback in good condition, as well, but I am not holding my breath. For now, I am hoping to get the engines pulled this weekend, as my son has to work and the week is pretty shot (he works nights). Any thougs or comments are appreciated, with the exchange of ideas, a project can take on a life of its own! Thanks, guys!

Attachments

• dually4.jpg
    dually4.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 10

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Western WA from Eastern WA, aka the wet side from
Great start, I wish GM used better paint, I like the white over dark red. I just put those headlight adjusters on my '96 with the lenses LMC sells that take 9006 & 9005 bulbs. Pretty pleased with the upgrade, but then I stuck HIDs in them.

Axle: Since they're both Dana 70s I'd swap the guts and put a rebuild kit into your's, carrier bearings, pinion bearings, go through the hubs with seals, re-pack, speedi-sleeve if necessary, rebuild brakes. If the truck is gonna be down a while, spend a little time, strip the backing plates off and blast/powdercoat them, do the diff cover too. To swap axle assembly for axle assembly, you might end up with headaches like different spring perch widths, different shock mount locations. Dana 70 links and tech can be found here: The Dana 70 Bible

Engines: From square to -400 there are going to be differences, particularly in throttle linkage/bracketry/etc, take gratuitous pictures of -400 underhood before tearing into, get motors out, side-by-side, pics of -400 motor, do whatever you're gonna do to the square motor then make it look like the -400 does.

Accessories: Particularly with a SFA I'm down with the visor idea, not too keen on the extended cab glass trim or the racerback, but hey, it's your truck. :D Little thing to note, when you put the 94+ front on, you'll need 94+ bumper brackets.