89 C1500 Corporate 10 bolt, weld or braze?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FL-Bowtie

Reaction score
just discovered a leaking axle tube, appears rust has penetrated the left axle tube under the u-bolt plate.

the tube is solid where the plate makes contact but concave between the contact points.

replacing the whole axle is not an option right now, and the axles, bearings, eaton brute, ring and pinion are all fresh within the last 2 years.

should i weld the leak shut or braze it? what is the benefit or disadvantage to either?

i'm also considering a plate/patch over the whole area once the leak is repaired. thoughts?

ugh, just what i needed to get involved with right now....

FL-Bowtie

Reaction score
Heres a pic, I think the leak is under the u-bolt bracket on the bottom. There were rusty depressions in the hollow area under the bracket when I did the new springs a few months ago. Wasn't leaking then....

You must be registered for see images

FL-Bowtie

Reaction score
Thats my thought, drop the bracket, drain the fluid, pull the axle and flush the inside of the tube. Then wire brush or grind the outside clean and dry. MIG away. Maybe a small patch plate over the welded repair....

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Yep would be good as new 10 bolts are fairly cheap also

FL-Bowtie

Reaction score
Ok, I tore in and welded the sucker! It was way worse than I figured, but solid now and good to go!<br />
<br />
Before:<br />
<br />
<br />
Cleaned up, sorta....<br />
<br />
<br />
Fixed up:<br />
<br/>