88GMCtruck's 99 6.5L Towpig slow build.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Well, for those of you who didn't catch the initial thread of my newest "project", I decided to start a thread to document what I'm doing to the truck.

Anyway, here is the towpig. It's a 1999 Silverado K2500, 6.5L 5-speed I bought with 146,000 miles. It was in good shape, just needed a cleaning.

After the initial bath
You must be registered for see images attach

Anyway. The truck is going to be the roadtrip vehicle and the towpig for the trailer. Short term is a few cosmetic mods, midterm is a few performance mods, and longterm is a SAS. It will at some point also be converted to a GMC.

Few things I have already gathered.

Cablights

Underhood reel light and Kodiak door handle

Set of PYOs for $150 (had to set a centercap on there to see how they would look)

Now, you might be wondering what the thing next to the tire is......It's a 33"x10"x2.5" aluminum heatsink.

I need a better PMD cooling setup on the truck now and want to remote mount something in the bumper area, I honestly just can't justify spending over $100 for a PMD heatsink kit because all they are is a big aluminum heatsink. Well I ended up getting this thing for $30 at a local surplus place, and will cut it to a smaller size obviously.

Few other things the truck will be getting soon:
A set of 235/85R16 Load E Wild Country TXR tires
Swap the towing mirrors & brake controller off the 88
LED clearance light under tailgate
Tinted windows
New hood
Some sort of CD player. Anyone have their factory Delco they wanna get rid of?!

So, there it is. The truck honestly runs great, and strictly highway has shown me 22MPG, mixed highway and city 18.5MPG. I can't complain too much about that.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's looking good, I am going to move my pmd soon as well on my 96. I am also going to build a 6.5 for it, I already have the block and head's in the shop, I'm going to do some performance mod's and mods to strengthen the block, it should be interesting.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i didnt have great luck with my 6.5 after it was changed from stock. all i can say is dont go overboard in the boost department?

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Anyway, today I set out to strip the clearcoat off the PYOs. It was easier than I expected. Only problem with them is wherever there was bad clearcoat the aluminum was lightly etched and pitted under it. Most of it came out and isn't noticeable with a bit of elbow grease. PYOs shine up extremely well and have a better luster than when they were clear coated.

Then I took the wheels off to get mounted to a set of Wild Country TXR 235/85R16 Load E tires I traded one of my friends for. I also polished up the GMT400 center caps and installed them with the GMT800 lug covers.

Also repainted the used kodiak door handle I picked up at the junkyard, NOS one is on the left, re-painted on the right.

Last edited:

SlimT

Reaction score
Nice! Can't wait to see more done to it. Those wheels look great and really like that color.