88GMCtruck's 99 6.5L Towpig slow build.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man that looks nice. I've always wondered about those door handles...

..but I do like them on your truck.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah.... one of the few people on any forum that I almost never think "oh i wouldnt have done that" or "i like the idea but ****** workmanship".

dropped93

I want one of everything
Reaction score
whered you get that 4/7 pin harness. i really like that and need to replace the one on my grandmas 04 since i shattered the cover when a chain broke on me

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Man that looks nice. I've always wondered about those door handles...

..but I do like them on your truck.
Yeah, I'm liking them more and more. The original picture didn't do them justice really. Opening the door is much more awesome than it was with the pull up handles, much more solid feeling.

yeah.... one of the few people on any forum that I almost never think "oh i wouldnt have done that" or "i like the idea but ****** workmanship".
Thanks man. I really do try to keep my own style and not fall into what everyone else does, yet I want to make things look like they belong. I also NEVER cut corners when it comes to anything, I want things to last, even if they are temporary.

whered you get that 4/7 pin harness. i really like that and need to replace the one on my grandmas 04 since i shattered the cover when a chain broke on me
I got my original one a Shucks/Checker/Kragen for the 88, but ended up shorting it out when re-wiring my trailer a few weeks back. I replaced it with one from Walmart, and ordered one for this truck online (which was cheaper of course). They are made by Hopkins, and they offer models like this that plug directly into GMT800 trucks, or ones you can wire in yourself.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Cablights are designed for wide vehicles to give oncomming drivers a better fix on the size and location of the truck. There are five lights across the roof above the windshield. The two outside lights are called "clearance lights" because they show the outside dimensions, both vertical and horizontal, of the vehicle. The three lights in the middle are called "identification" or "i.d." lights. they are required by federal law if the vehicle is 80 inches or more wide.

I personally install them because I like the style of them. The only other thing they do for me other than stylistically is add a bit more safety being visible to oncoming traffic.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
I came home today and simply had to, just HAD to start drilling holes in my trucks pristine sheetmetal. It was about 24 degrees outside when I started, and 6 degrees when I finished.

Removal of snow, masking tape to measure from
You must be registered for see images attach

I has 15 holes in mah head........

Mmmmmmm, cablights.

I also decided to wire up my high idle switches. Unfortunately I had to offset them a bit to fit both on one side of the filler plate. I'm thinking in the future about creating a dial style knob or something.

And while I had the drill out, I decided to finish installing the trailer plug. I hate this location, but there was a hole in the bumper here already from the PO. One day I'll snag a new bumper and relocate it somewhere else.