88 K1500 350 Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I have this 88 K1500 the radiator exploded in last year. Long story short, I swapped a 350 from an 89 with 87k miles on the odometer into it.
It's been having this weird problem where it turns over, idles for a minute, then it dies.
Put a new ecm, fuel pump, filter, fuel pressure regulator, injectors, spark plugs, intake gaskets, valve cover gaskets, distributor rotor, cap, ignition control module, battery, throttle position sensor, MAP sensor, and probably a few other things on it.
I set the timing so the mark on the crankshaft lined up with the first mark on the tab right above it and the cap pointing to number one on the compression stroke.
And I'm at a loss. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was your '88 originally a 5.7L? Or did you convert from a V-6 or 305?

Connect scan tool.
Look at the data stream.

Verify fuel pressure. Replacing parts doesn't mean they're working right, or getting proper voltage/ground.

I set the timing so the mark on the crankshaft lined up with the first mark on the tab right above it
You used a timing light...right?

First mark? Isn't that 4 degrees advanced? Timing is "supposed" to be 0--TDC.

But that's not what's causing your stalling.