'88 "harmonica fitting" steering column wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for all the info so far! I have now moved on to the steering column turn signal switch connectors. It seems like the majority of the steering column colours match with kit. I assume this should be OK and work, I looked over the wiring diagrams and I am pretty sure they match..

The only wires I cannot figure out are the turn signal dash indicator lights. The Speedway connector has 2 separate wires for the right/left turn dash indicator bulb(s). I looked at the wiring diagrams and I only seem to get the blue/light blue wires. Perhaps the truck didn't have dedicated wires for the turn signal dash indicator lights running from the connector..
Are there specific "output" wires for the dash indicator lights coming from the trucks harmonica connector?
There is also a black wire (on either side) but that matches, and I assume it is a ground..

You must be registered for see images attach

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
This "harmonica" connector you're talking about...... Where is it? What does it normally plug into? I'm a little lost.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Maybe the fuse block or the ignition switch? Looks kinda like what's on the end of the multi function switch (turn signal and cruise control). Bet that's what it is if the wires go to the lights, because they go through the turn signal switch.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Yeah but on the 88-94, all the functions are separated... The lights all run through one long connector alongside the horn and key-in switch, the cruise on another connector, the wipers on yet another... The headlight lo/hi switch is even on its own down there, near the ignition switch which is also by itself.

The right turn signal wire is dark blue, the left turn light blue. I don't know what that connector is you have labeled, but I can tell you the dark blue wire on the connector to the right is your right turn signal source. That connector goes to the multi-function light switch assembly. Problem is, that connector seems to be missing wires, and if I'm looking at it right............... OHHH OK I see what's going on here (but still don't really know why the two connectors are split lol)

That black wire you labeled as ground is actually the horn activator wire. The green and tan wires are your key-in warning buzzer wires. The light blue one is correct, left turn indicator, the connector to the right has the dark blue wire which is your right turn indicator wire. Others are brown: input from the hazard flasher; purple: input from the turn signal flasher; yellow and green: left and right rear turn/brake lights, and the white wire comes from your brake switch. Here we go...

You must be registered for see images attach

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Thanks again Brandon and other members! So far all the colors match up. I broke the connector that is why it is in 2 pieces...

I looked at the Speedway wiring connector; and frig the dash bulb signal is actually shares the same port as the light itself..I will leave the green and tan wires out. The "harmonica" connector I am using is found under the steering wheel.. So, this is what I am doing in using speedway harness with the "harmonica connector" ..
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

After watching this Eric the Car guy video I think I can use a lot of the original dash display. If you go to around the 4:30 mark he shows how you send a wire to that pin..

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hopefully all this info will help someone one day if they want to use the speedway harness for their GMT..