88 Chevy sas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bornchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm in the process of collecting parts for my sas. I already have a Chevy D60 kingpin and a 14bff. I have a 88 c1500 Scottsdale eclb with the 350 tbi with a 700r4. First I kinda want to go with a manual trans but i'm debating on keeping the 700r4 but putting a passenger side drop on the 700 is a whole new book of questions. So if i go manual what trans should i go with? This truck is not going to be beaten to hell off road its just going to get me and my faimly to where i want to go (terrain will include rocks, sand both hard pack and soft, and some mud here or there) and a little fooling around here and there. Any suggestions i would be happy to hear them. And i will be running either 35" 37" or 38" tires. and i want to run a np205 t-case.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
if you are running a low pinion solid axle with the lift to fit 38's then you want to stay with a auto trans so you have any chance to run a front shaft, a manual trans is too short(well at least the sm465) and it causes too steep of a angle for the front shaft, if you use a 2wd manual trans and a dodge divorced 205 then you can fix the angles quite a bit. personally i would recommend a divorced 205 for either manual or auto just to help with that front shaft angle.

bornchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
very true i forgot about the divorced t-cases. i have never worked with or around any tho. how does the linkage work on those?

the axle will be moved forward 1 to 2 inches. do you think a manual trans mated to a 205 would work with a high pinion? i have been looking at the solid axle ind. high pinion housing and thinking about converting my axle to high pinion. despite the downfall of the cost involved it would probably do more good then bad

bornchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well then that got me thinking my friend has a 86 k30 on 40"s but hes only running 6" or 8" springs with cut fenders but he has never had any problems. he runs a manual trans with a 205. although he has recently done the 203/205 doubler. but i think 37's will be the max i will run on this truck cuz its my dd and it will be my trip truck for a while at least. im not saying your wrong because of course there will be cases where it wont work and im surely not going to cut my fenders as i want this truck to still look decent.