88-99 1/2 ton crew cab short bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Laydout98

Reaction score
Ok i found this 99 one ton single wheel crew cab for pretty cheap and Im wanting to build a 1/2 ton crew cab short bed. The question I have is what are people doing about the frames? I know theres alot of people the just shortening either the 3/4 ton or 1ton frames and putting half ton suspension on them but Im wanting a 1/2 frame so it doesn't hang down like a 3/4 ton Ive heard you can use a ex cab long bed but I have a 93 suburban would this maybe work? Anyone thats done this or knows about it please let me know.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hello, I have a Crew Cab Stepside 95, and I used a 1/2 ton ext. cab frame, I wanted the 1/2 ton frame for the same reasons you mentioned. It's actually a really easy swap, I used an ext. cab shortbed frame, and you lengthen it 13 inches between the middle and rear cab mounts, it makes the distance between them 37 in. instead of 24 in., the only other mod. is you have to move the middle cab mount's out a half an inch on each side. I cut the ends of mine off, and extended them, otherwise all of the cab mounts are at the right height and shape, and the cab will bolt right up. If you have a 4l60e trans in the ext. cab shortbed you can also, reuse the front half of the driveshaft, and the rear half you swap out for a reg. cab shortbed driveshaft, and it fit's right in place.

Laydout98

Reaction score
What about if i used a ex cab long bed do you think i would have to do some lengthing still?

Do you have any pics or your truck and the swap?

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello, I have a Crew Cab Stepside 95, and I used a 1/2 ton ext. cab frame, I wanted the 1/2 ton frame for the same reasons you mentioned. It's actually a really easy swap, I used an ext. cab shortbed frame, and you lengthen it 13 inches between the middle and rear cab mounts, it makes the distance between them 37 in. instead of 24 in., the only other mod. is you have to move the middle cab mount's out a half an inch on each side. I cut the ends of mine off, and extended them, otherwise all of the cab mounts are at the right height and shape, and the cab will bolt right up. If you have a 4l60e trans in the ext. cab shortbed you can also, reuse the front half of the driveshaft, and the rear half you swap out for a reg. cab shortbed driveshaft, and it fit's right in place.

Can you post pics

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hello, if you use a longbed frame, you will still have to lengthern it underneath the cab, because the frame under the bed is completely different, plus with a long bed frame you would still have to shorten the rear frame, shure it could be done, but it's a lot of extra work. As for pic's sadly I don't have any pics of the process, I only have them as it sit's now.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here's a pic of the truck, it is much further along than this now. I just don't have any current pics.

Sierra

In pieces!
Reaction score
M30 TRANSMISSION AUTO 4 SPD, HMD, 4L60-E, ELECTRONIC
M31 TRANSMISSION AUTO 5 SPD, HMD, X5R
M32 TRANSMISSION AUTO 4 SPD, HMD, 4L60-E, ELECTRONIC, HD
M33 TRANSMISSION AUTO 4 SPD, HMD, 4L60-E, ELECTRONIC, HYBRID

Laydout98

Reaction score
Hello, if you use a longbed frame, you will still have to lengthern it underneath the cab, because the frame under the bed is completely different, plus with a long bed frame you would still have to shorten the rear frame, shure it could be done, but it's a lot of extra work. As for pic's sadly I don't have any pics of the process, I only have them as it sit's now.

So its going to be best to use a ex cab short bed?

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes. because then all you have to do is lengthen the frame under the cab by 13"