8 lug conversion on 88 1500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The drums on a 9.5" or 10.5" 14 bolt are probably better performers and will leave you with a functional parking brake, vs. those NBS discs. :) Just my opinion. You might read up a little on them, many of the newer trucks with disc rears are notorious for parking brake problems. The 2009 3500"HD" I drive for work is no exception, and even at only 42K had totally non-functional parking brakes, pedal to the floor, you can push it by hand on level ground in neutral. Our shop just shrugs about it...

Richard

That sounds like they're not adjusted properly....... is there an adjustment? Parking brakes shouldn't wear, becasue they shouldn't be stopping the truck. If I recall correctly, they're cable operated just like drum parking brakes, except they're independent on the disc brake axles. I'd love to have some nice big OEM discs out back, with the big dual piston calipers.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There's a 15 page thread about it over on Chevytalk in the 99-06 forum but hey...probably at least half of it are people arguing about union workers, foreign vs. domestic, etc. and then your usual people that work for GM denying it's a problem and people just aren't using the parking brake correctly. ;)

Richard

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
There's a 15 page thread about it over on Chevytalk in the 99-06 forum but hey...probably at least half of it are people arguing about union workers, foreign vs. domestic, etc. and then your usual people that work for GM denying it's a problem and people just aren't using the parking brake correctly. ;)

Richard

Haha Ok, I'll go look for it. :)

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Is that the "Please test your parking brake. " thread?

Never mind...... started reading it. It has to be the thread you were talking about. I got halfway through page 2 and stopped........ couldn't take it anymore. I didn't see exactly what vehicle the OP was complaining about.

I've got a stuck cable on my truck....... I've never been a big parking break user.

Last edited:

SalahHH83

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, Richard! You’re always Johnny on the spot on the forums. I ended up finding a 14 bolt rear out of an 85 C20 for a great deal. The seller threw in some new calipers and good used spindles for the front with new bearings for free. It looks like i’m probably going to have to relocate the spring perches and shock brackets on the 14 bolt, but that’s not a problem... I can weld and I’ve done it before we good results. It’s got new big drums on the back as well.

I guess my question now becomes can I use the C20 front spindles and brakes on my C1500? I’ve been searching and cannot find anything. They are heavy duty good looking rotors. I know most people don’t end up using older parts on newer trucks, but if it lines up, I’ll do it! I haven’t had a chance to take of a tire and measure yet, but I’d be interested if anyone knows the answer. I’d much rather have 8 lug all around than 8 in the back and 5 up front haha

Thanks again guys

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Would have to say probably no way in hell on the squarebody spindles/calipers.

Before doing all the work on the axle, make sure its a width that is going to work for you. Compare measurements against your existing axle, to the wheel mounting surfaces.

Richard

SalahHH83

Reaction score
I took measurements and the knuckles look like they will fit. The big question, of course, is the holes for the ball joints. The knuckle's steering arm is slightly longer than the C1500 and the knuckle from top to bottom is slightly shorter (approx. .5"), but I would think the upper and lower control arms would just compress the spring slightly to make up that small distance. If the balljoints match or I can find other ball joints that have the correct size, I actually think this can be made to work. I'm pretty determined to go 8 lug front and back (I know a lot of people say this isn't worth the effort, but I have 8 lug wheels and tires ready to go and I like the challenge)

My understanding is if I get the upper control arms from a C2500 along with C2500 knuckles, spindles and rotors, I can go 8 lug on the front like that. If all else fails, I might pull those parts from a local junkyard and go that route.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'll wish you luck on adapting those squarebody spindles; might work, dunno. Seems sketchy.

My understanding is if I get the upper control arms from a C2500 along with C2500 knuckles, spindles and rotors, I can go 8 lug on the front like that. If all else fails, I might pull those parts from a local junkyard and go that route.

Yep...that's what I mentioned in my first reply to you in this thread. :gr_grin: But not sure why you'd say knuckles and spindles, most people use those terms interchangeably to mean the same thing. You need the spindles, rotors, calipers, and upper control arms...and probably the master cylinder and proportioning valve, too.

What would have served you really well was to find someone with a 2500 that wanted to swap to 5 lug! :gr_grin:

Richard

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
I would say 'don't do it'. Even if you can physically bolt up the spindle to the ball joints, you are changing the entire steering geometry designed in to the knuckle.

SalahHH83

Reaction score
I'll wish you luck on adapting those squarebody spindles; might work, dunno. Seems sketchy.

Yep...that's what I mentioned in my first reply to you in this thread. :gr_grin: But not sure why you'd say knuckles and spindles, most people use those terms interchangeably to mean the same thing. You need the spindles, rotors, calipers, and upper control arms...and probably the master cylinder and proportioning valve, too.

What would have served you really well was to find someone with a 2500 that wanted to swap to 5 lug! :gr_grin:

Richard

haha i'm definitely not stealing the credit, Richard :) But you're right! I actually found a ridiculously good deal on a 2500 extended cab with pretty low miles about 140 miles away from me, but I couldn't get up there the same day and somebody else snatched it up. I like the tinkering part, so it's not the end of the world. Now just to find a nice low mileage C2500 at the junkyards that's been rear ended or had an engine/transmission failure so I can steal its front end :)