700r4 with a carburetor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigcrippledan

Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone has ever either A) put a carb'd engine in their truck or B) swapped a 700r4 into a already carb'd vehicle. My truck has a carb'd engine that some dude put in without doing the proper research. :nono: Now, I'm just trying to fix it. I can't afford to swap out the engine say back to TBI and I don't want to swap to a non overdrive transmission if I can get the 700r4 hooked up right. I've done a lot of googling the past few days and can't seem to find like a step by step. I've found a ton of stuff about TV cables and brackets and so forth. But I can't find ,as I said, instructions. So if anyone could link me to somewhere or even just give an explanation on this I would be very grateful! :worship: Thanks in advance for any help!

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
what do you need explaining with? a 700r4 will work fine, you just need to hook up the TV cable.

tylers88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my buddies has an 83 C10 with a 700 and my 86 K5 had a carbed 305 and 700 stock. Just need the mounts and the cable.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Yep, just adjusting the cable is all that's needed........I wouldn't drive it alot with an incorrectly/dismounted tv cable though, it can quickly ruin the trans.

An option, if you like to control your shifts, is to swap in a manual valve body :deal:

bigcrippledan

Reaction score
Thanks for the link blue! Everybody else i also thank you! :) The cable that connects the gas pedal to the carb doesn't reach so it's got some kind of crazy jig to work. He wrapped some kind of wire and looped it through the cable. If I had a picture I'd upload it lol. It's something else! But again, thanks guys!

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need the correct cable asap. The TV cable is essential to the life of a 700R4.....

bigcrippledan

Reaction score
Ok! :) I greatly appreciate your help! I knew it definitely needed fixing, but I wasn't entirely sure WHAT I needed. Will I need to buy 1 of the bracket adapters, too? Or just the cable? Again, THANK YOU!!

bigcrippledan

Reaction score
Yep, just adjusting the cable is all that's needed........I wouldn't drive it alot with an incorrectly/dismounted tv cable though, it can quickly ruin the trans.

An option, if you like to control your shifts, is to swap in a manual valve body :deal:

I might get one of those in the future, but for now it's just pretty much all about fixing her up and getting her running/driving right! :) Thanks for your help!!