700R4 will not engage into gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fatcat

Reaction score
just had gotten done rebuilding engine and put everything back together, filled tranny to proper level and made sure every connection was made. while I was rebuilding motor I took tranny to local shop and had him look at it because it wouldn't stay in OD..he said someone had put a spacer between 3rd and 4th gear, and it should have been between 1st and 2nd...now today we fired motor and went to engage it in gear and NOTHING!! When its in park you can push the truck and it moves...driveshaft is installed. all plugs are plugged, shift linkage is connected..Ive went thru all the gears from 1st to park and nothing....any suggestions before I have it towed???? Its in a 89 Silverado 4x4

Last edited:

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You most likely stacked the pump stabbing the motor. When installing the converter, if you don't get it all the way into the transmission it will break the pump gears when you tighten the transmission to the engine.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If park does not engage unhook linkage and try shifting to park by hand. If that don't work pull Trans and send it back to guy who looked at it

Blind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
how do you know it has enough fluid? the dipstick isn't accurate unless the engine is hot and running

fatcat

Reaction score
transfer case in neuteral

Lmao...Bingo, can't believe I had done something that stupid!!!!! Too many hours wrenching and brain was slacking sleep...Next morning I checked the transfer case and yep...it was in neutral.....lol. Thanks guys for the responses, and rhino that's a nice looking truck!!

towman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
glad it was something simple, have been in the towing and auto repair for thirty years now, have gone out on a bunch of calls where something flew off the seat in a panic stop and knocked the transfer case out of gear