7.4l stalling at stop signs. Fuel pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
My 98 big block started stalling at stop signs. Runs mint any other time and only stalls half the time. What could be the problem be? Fuel pump? Injectors? Could a fuel system cleaner help?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Engine light was on when I picked it up from the shop the other day, went away at some point and stayed off. I'll plug a computer in this afternoon. And last night I found I was leaking trans fluid, pretty bad too. Don't think it could be related though.

thegtwyo86

Reaction score
Check your egr valve my 5.7 was doing the exact same thing you can either replace it but go with a dealer part. Or remove it all together an block it off.

Reaction score
Just got the tranny fixed in my truck. Once I start driving again I'll see if it still stalls and look back into it.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I yard-drove a '96 with Vortec 7.4 with a fuel pump so bad it was only making 30 psi. It wouldn't stall. It would fall on its face if you didn't ease into the pedal, but I could drive it around the yard fine in order to move it around. So in other words, unlikely to be the fuel pump. The Vortec 7.4 will run on pressure far below spec because the factory injectors will still operate; they're totally different from the central injector and poppet valve setup original to the small block Vortecs.

Richard