6x9s in ext cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tony_SS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes, sorta. the 6x9 mounting screws go through the plastic and through the metal behind. the 6x9 sits on the plastic but is physically supported by metal so it will not fall out or wear out the plastic trim. its a solid mount and when done right, actually looks good. be careful not to cut outside your template or you will see a gap. some people dye the grilles to match the trim. it looks like the guy in the link above used tin snips, which would work but its a lot of work compared to the inline saw method. I could literally pull the truck in the bay, cut and install the speakers and have the customers vehicle back out front in 30 minutes with the air saw. the link mentions him prying out the upper screws of the oem 4x6, we cut right through the 4x6, leaving the upper lip and two screws in place.

If he has screws going into the metal behind the plastic that would work then..

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
I can see most 4's working pretty easy, a 5.25 may.. i should have measured when i had it all apart. but would a 4x6 plate speaker best a 5.25" in overall quality and be close in volume or not?

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The only bad part about mounting 6X9's in the factory location is that your speaker selection is very limited due to the shallow mounting depth.

You are correct but I have seen spacers on Ebay look into them I even seen some that are even angled I hope this helps someone.