6x9s in ext cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slick96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can somebody post the link to the thread on puttin 6x9s in a ext cab? thanks

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can somebody post the link to the thread on puttin 6x9s in a ext cab? thanks

I'm currently designing and prototyping speaker enclosures that will house 6X9's (with up to a 4" magnet) and cleanly mount over the GMT400 factory C-Pillars. These will not work with the 3 door models. These will be a VERY clean looking product and a have night and day difference in sound quality, and allow you to mount a REAL speaker in the back! Stay tuned!

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im telling first mount your gray speaker boxes with sheet metal screws where the 4x6 are then just place your speakers in the boxes and you have it 6x9 in the back. Now I didn't put in my rear 4x6 speakers I had a shop do mine but the guy said he could fit them where the 4x6 speakers were. Now I have this Roto-Zip I don't see why one can't use it to cut out holes to place speakers there the only thing I see is that maybe the magnet will hit the inner wall I say stick to gray boxes. Just my 2 cents.

I do have some Kenwood 6x9 in boxes but im happy with my good 4x6 speakers in the back to pick up mids & highs then I have a sub just for lows.

nine4gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i worked as a stereo installer in the early 90's, we did 6x9s in brand new extended cabs almost every day.

Step 1. line up the top of your 6x9 template with the top of the 4x6 location, trace it out.
Step 2. stab an inline air saw blade through the top speaker holes and all the way through the 4x6 .
Step 3. start cutting, follow your template line.
Step 4. wire up your 6x9 and screw it in.
Step 5. enjoy the killer rear fill.

You must be registered for see images attach

inline air saw^

Last edited:

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im telling first mount your gray speaker boxes with sheet metal screws where the 4x6 are then just place your speakers in the boxes and you have it 6x9 in the back. Now I didn't put in my rear 4x6 speakers I had a shop do mine but the guy said he could fit them where the 4x6 speakers were. Now I have this Roto-Zip I don't see why one can't use it to cut out holes to place speakers there the only thing I see is that maybe the magnet will hit the inner wall I say stick to gray boxes. Just my 2 cents.

I do have some Kenwood 6x9 in boxes but im happy with my good 4x6 speakers in the back to pick up mids & highs then I have a sub just for lows.

The only bad part about mounting 6X9's in the factory location is that your speaker selection is very limited due to the shallow mounting depth. And the fact that the speakers are firing directly accross from each other, towards each other. Ideally you want your mids all meeting in the center of the vehicle.

Cablguy184

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm currently designing and prototyping speaker enclosures that will house 6X9's (with up to a 4" magnet) and cleanly mount over the GMT400 factory C-Pillars. These will not work with the 3 door models. These will be a VERY clean looking product and a have night and day difference in sound quality, and allow you to mount a REAL speaker in the back! Stay tuned!
Sound Quality and rears do not mix Sir ... Unless you ONLY use them for rear ambience (midbass enhancement similar to reflections off of a home theatre rear wall) and wider stage width enhancing the front stage ...

What are you trying to accomplish ?? and do you want more sound in the front ?? or rear of the truck ??
Seems like it would be MUCH easier to go with a component set ... just saying ...

I only have a pair of tweeters (crossed over at 7k) in the rear of my truck and my kids tell me to turn them down sometimes ...
Stock locations blares sound to the passengers ears and is very uncomfortable for them ... I relocated my rear drivers to the "B" pillars ... Much better for the rear seat passengers and enhances the front stage dramatically ...
Check out my Sound Deadning thread for more details on this ... Link on my signature ...

Last edited:

Cablguy184

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

The only bad part about mounting 6X9's in the factory location is that your speaker selection is very limited due to the shallow mounting depth. And the fact that the speakers are firing directly accross from each other, towards each other. Ideally you want your mids all meeting in the center of the vehicle.

i worked as a stereo installer in the early 90's, we did 6x9s in brand new extended cabs almost every day.

Step 1. line up the top of your 6x9 template with the top of the 4x6 location, trace it out.
Step 2. stab an inline air saw blade through the top speaker holes and all the way through the 4x6 .
Step 3. start cutting, follow your template line.
Step 4. wire up your 6x9 and screw it in.
Step 5. enjoy the killer rear fill.

You must be registered for see images attach

inline air saw^
I'm not 100% disagreeing guys ... but there is no breathing room for that large of a driver in the "C" pillars ... 6x9s sound great when they got room to breathe ... and that much of a driver would be earitable to the rear seat passengers ... Yall could do this to your truck if you want, but I would never suggest it ... seems like a waste of good drivers to me ... and this comming from a guy who cut his back wall just for 4 10" drivers ...

Tony_SS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Awesome, sign me up when those come available.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sound Quality and rears do not mix Sir ... Unless you ONLY use them for rear ambience (midbass enhancement similar to reflections off of a home theatre rear wall) and wider stage width enhancing the front stage ...

What are you trying to accomplish ?? and do you want more sound in the front ?? or rear of the truck ??
Seems like it would be MUCH easier to go with a component set ... just saying ...

I only have a pair of tweeters (crossed over at 7k) in the rear of my truck and my kids tell me to turn them down sometimes ...
Stock locations blares sound to the passengers ears and is very uncomfortable for them ... I relocated my rear drivers to the "B" pillars ... Much better for the rear seat passengers and enhances the front stage dramatically ...
Check out my Sound Deadning thread for more details on this ... Link on my signature ...

I have to disagree with you there. Sound quality has a lot to do with the entire system, if you have one good set of speakers and the rest of the speakers can't handle the power that the good set can, your going to have distortion and far from optimal sound. I've been installing custom audio systems for years. In my 94' I've went through great lengths to get the speakers mounted in ideal locations, I've built custom door panel speaker enclosures that house 5.25" Kicker speakers that sound 1000X better then ANY 4X6 will. A 4X6 speaker is just a poor design all around, if you take a 4X6 speaker from the same manufacture and the same model and compare it to a 5.25" or a 6" that is the same make/model, the 5.25" or 6" will sound much better. What I want to accomplish, and I think many others do like myself, is to have a lot better speaker options that are going to perform way better then any 4X6 speaker will period.

For example we just finished a 3 year frame off restoration of a 100 point 57 Chevy Bel-Air 4DHT, I completely sound deadened the entire interior with Jet Grade sound deadener. And fabricated custom Kick Panels to house 6" Coaxial, and mounted Infinity 6X9's in the rear deck (which was also sound deadened in the trunk as well as the back wall) and that system was powered by an un-amplified Sony Headunit that was also custom hidden mounted. That system (without a woofer) absolutely pounded, and had ZERO distortion at ANY volume.

As far as for rear passengers, personally if I have someone riding in the backseat I'm not going to have my stereo blaring, so that's not even an issue. And the way the speaker enclosures I'm prototyping are designed, is that they will "aim" towards the center console of the truck, just as my door panel speaker enclosures do, so there not firing directly accross from each other. Also there is plenty of "breathing" room for a good set of 6X9"s in the enclosures I'm designing, have you ever hear a 6X9 that was played on a bench or something in an open air enviroment? If you did, you'd know it didn't sound good. Speakers need back preasure on the woofer cone, or else it's going to distort and not sound good. The smaller the air volume of the enclosure the "tighter" the bass will be and vise versa.

How is that any different then having 4 10"s in a blowthrought directly under the passenger, wouldn't that be just as uncomfortable? I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not looking to compete in any competitions, I just want GREAT sound that going to sound like the music is playing the way it was meant to be heard. I'm not trying to be an *******, that's my opinion any how!