6x9s in ext cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nine4gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i never said anything about sound quality, i just said i installed 6x9's almost daily in these trucks in the early 90's. most people arent worried about sq on a competition level, they just want their sound louder and 6x9s are an easy way to do it. when anyone asks anything about 6x9s, its safe to assume they are not worried about sq so i instructed how we did what he wants to do. we have installed all types of 6x9's there, sometimes you need a 1/2" 6x9 spacer but pioneer 4 ways fit fine, as do a **** ton of other 6x9s.

you sq guys are too serious, life is short, turn it up!

T DOG

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sound Quality and rears do not mix Sir ... Unless you ONLY use them for rear ambience (midbass enhancement similar to reflections off of a home theatre rear wall) and wider stage width enhancing the front stage ...

What are you trying to accomplish ?? and do you want more sound in the front ?? or rear of the truck ??
Seems like it would be MUCH easier to go with a component set ... just saying...

I personally agree with this ^^^ but if you must put 6x9's in the rear here is a good link....

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/rear6x9.html

slick96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. My 4x6s are shot. Just exploring my options

T DOG

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^^ I couldn't tell you. You'd have to ask him.

nine4gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes, sorta. the 6x9 mounting screws go through the plastic and through the metal behind. the 6x9 sits on the plastic but is physically supported by metal so it will not fall out or wear out the plastic trim. its a solid mount and when done right, actually looks good. be careful not to cut outside your template or you will see a gap. some people dye the grilles to match the trim. it looks like the guy in the link above used tin snips, which would work but its a lot of work compared to the inline saw method. I could literally pull the truck in the bay, cut and install the speakers and have the customers vehicle back out front in 30 minutes with the air saw. the link mentions him prying out the upper screws of the oem 4x6, we cut right through the 4x6, leaving the upper lip and two screws in place.

Cablguy184

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have to disagree with you there. Sound quality has a lot to do with the entire system, if you have one good set of speakers and the rest of the speakers can't handle the power that the good set can, your going to have distortion and far from optimal sound. I've been installing custom audio systems for years. In my 94' I've went through great lengths to get the speakers mounted in ideal locations, I've built custom door panel speaker enclosures that house 5.25" Kicker speakers that sound 1000X better then ANY 4X6 will. A 4X6 speaker is just a poor design all around, if you take a 4X6 speaker from the same manufacture and the same model and compare it to a 5.25" or a 6" that is the same make/model, the 5.25" or 6" will sound much better. What I want to accomplish, and I think many others do like myself, is to have a lot better speaker options that are going to perform way better then any 4X6 speaker will period.

For example we just finished a 3 year frame off restoration of a 100 point 57 Chevy Bel-Air 4DHT, I completely sound deadened the entire interior with Jet Grade sound deadener. And fabricated custom Kick Panels to house 6" Coaxial, and mounted Infinity 6X9's in the rear deck (which was also sound deadened in the trunk as well as the back wall) and that system was powered by an un-amplified Sony Headunit that was also custom hidden mounted. That system (without a woofer) absolutely pounded, and had ZERO distortion at ANY volume.

As far as for rear passengers, personally if I have someone riding in the backseat I'm not going to have my stereo blaring, so that's not even an issue. And the way the speaker enclosures I'm prototyping are designed, is that they will "aim" towards the center console of the truck, just as my door panel speaker enclosures do, so there not firing directly accross from each other. Also there is plenty of "breathing" room for a good set of 6X9"s in the enclosures I'm designing, have you ever hear a 6X9 that was played on a bench or something in an open air enviroment? If you did, you'd know it didn't sound good. Speakers need back preasure on the woofer cone, or else it's going to distort and not sound good. The smaller the air volume of the enclosure the "tighter" the bass will be and vise versa.

How is that any different then having 4 10"s in a blowthrought directly under the passenger, wouldn't that be just as uncomfortable? I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not looking to compete in any competitions, I just want GREAT sound that going to sound like the music is playing the way it was meant to be heard. I'm not trying to be an *******, that's my opinion any how!
I'm not saying you are a ******* by any means ... please don't take it that way ... Very informative and detailed in my opinion ...
When I quoted you, it wasn't to call you out, it was to express my opinion on that very topic ... nothing more ...

"Sound quality has a lot to do with the entire system, if you have one good set of speakers and the rest of the speakers can't handle the power that the good set can, your going to have distortion and far from optimal sound."
I couldn't agree more !!! I believe in a well balanced system and if anything is distorted, it comes out on the spot and repaired or replaced ...
But I am a Sound Quality competitor, so I have to follow specific guidelines when I build / compete with my systems ...
They can be found here ... http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?6852-Sound-Quality

as for 4x6s ... I can't stand them, reason why my "c" pillars are empty ... and I jam out with people in the back seat all the time (main reason the wife would not let me take out the back seat and build a wall) ...

I wish i could see that 57 Chevy ... sounds amazing !!! but talking about 2 totally different vehicles here when building a sound stage and image that includes hight, width, and depth ... I would run 6x9s on the rear deck too on that type of car ... even in competition !!!

and yes Sir, I've heard 6x9s in all different types of configurations ... I've been competing car audio since the early 90s ...
and you'd have to literally have to sit in my truck to believe me, but my subwoofer design is to have "Up front" and "On the Dash" bass responce ...
any pounding behind you in competition counts off in points ... the whole idea to Sound Quality is to have the stage and image in front of you just like you was going to a Pink Floyd Concert ... or sit in on a recording studio ... or replicating a 5.1 / 7.1 home theatre effect ...

Last edited:

Cablguy184

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you sq guys are too serious, life is short, turn it up!
I agree with this !!! Have you seen any of my YouTube vids ?? I hammer my truck System all the time ... and its got to sound good in the process ...

SPL competition does a guy like me NO GOOD in competition ...
Sound Quality is the only place in competition where you can demo your vehicle's TOTAL system capabilities without people just wanting to know "how loud will it get ??"

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
I didnt read the whole thread but just confirming that there is no way to fit a 6x9 in with a third door? i replaced my 4x6"s and couldnt see anything bigger fitting but wanted to be sure