6x9 speaker upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cablguy184

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So here are the pics I promised.

Step 1:
You must be registered for see images attach

Step2:

Step3:

With the right tools this was a fairly simple and quick process. I highly suggest using a deemed for the plastic and a air mini reciprocating saw for the metal. They are a huge improvement over the stock 4x6. Any one need help just ask

Can this be done to the extended cab with the 3rd door ??

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
Nice job. Looks like you had some decent kenwood 4"x6" speakers in there already. You didn't like those?

So here was my dilemma. A buddy was in the back seat and asked how come I don't have rear speakers. I told him indie and then realized no sound is coming out of them. So I had the 6x9 laying around that matched the 6.5" I had up front so I said I'll do this and hopefully fix my problem. I was wrong. Did the entire swap and still no sound. Me and my buddy then tore my dash apart and discovered way in the back that my rear speakers and come unplugged. Now is where I can be laughed at lol. But I love them. They sound amazing. So those Kenwoods are still perfectly fine

And as far as single cabs there isn't much room. It's the same as the third door model and only a 5" wide speaker will work.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
I looked at it to try to figure it out one day and it looks like a TON of work...remove back seat, seat belt, top trim, under window trim, etc...I'd rather just cut 'em out

JAW's

B/W Country & Amer. R&R
Reaction score
How hard do you think it would be to just take that plastic off and then replace the 4x6s?

I did it... It was quite a bit of work but the worst part was that the plastic was so brittle a bunck of the clips broke off and i ended up having to super glue what I could back on

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
Yea the clips always break. You just fold the rear seat down pull the plastic at the roof, back fire wall and then the sides. Takes me about an hour to take it all apart. But that's why I figured now it is an easy swap if I need new speakers