60/40 armrest stuck up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dsmproject

Reaction score
I have a 97 extended cab with the 60/40 seats. My armrest is stuck up. I was told it is something with an inertia lock? I have been able to get it down by rocking it, and it will sometimes release.

Any thoughts on this? I have tried searching and found no one else having this issue.

Thanks guys!

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
There is a couple of shouldered bolts on either side of the armrest, inside the plastic cover. Over time they will back out and kinda screw up the way that the mechanism works. Pull 'em out, put a couple of drops of red lock-tite on those, then crank 'em down. Sometimes the bolts that hold the armrest bracket to the seat loosen off too. You may have to remove the backrest from the cushion to access the bolts nearest to the backrest. You don't have to remove the seat from the truck to do this. Passenger seat all the way to the back, & the driver's all the way forward may give you the space to work in there.
To remove the backrest, flip the backrest forward, undo the long plastic clip, or zipper, & pull the cover up to get at the outer bolts that hold the recline mechanism to the backrest frame.
If there is a zipper in there, it will not have a pull tab. Work a paper clip or other piece of wire into the small hole on top of the slider. The zipper is self-locking & this will release the lock. Don't undo the zipper all the way. If that slider comes off the zipper, not only is it a pain to get back together, but good luck getting it back together so that it lines up again to the way it was originally put together.
The inside hinge of the backrest is on a pin, inside a plastic grommet, which fits into a bracket with a corresponding hole in it for the pin. IIRC the pin may have a tooth on it which is on an angle. You have to play with the backrest a bit in order for the tooth to be removed from the hole. Lift the outer side of the backrest towards the center of the vehicle, while rocking it around to different angles to get that pin out, while pulling the backrest towards the outside of the truck. Once you have the backrest off, you'll see how it works.

dsmproject

Reaction score
Thank you for the excellent reply! Very detailed and to the point :)

I will try this out this weekend.

Thanks again

dsmproject

Reaction score
Ok, I took a look at this this weekend and found the below.

The armrest must be very different than the one that the previous poster has. I found that it was in fact a inertia lock. The part that locks the armrest in a sudden stop was "stuck" I was able to spray WD-40 in this and worked the armrest around to free it up. When you slowly lower the armrest, it allows the lock or "cam" to move back and around the locking pin. When it is lowered swiftly, it will catch or lock. Below are pictures of what I came across. The lock is the yellow painted piece.

You must be registered for see images attach

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Uhhh...yea. Sorry boss. I thought that the armrest was a different style. I've worked on so many different seats that I can't remember all the idiosynchrosies of each one. Lot's of times the memory kicks in as I'm working on them. Could be an age thing, too!
I have worked on those before, & you got lucky. Sometimes those springs are broken or not even there.
Glad you got it fixed.

dsmproject

Reaction score
Hey no worries! You gave me a place to start, I just wanted to update in case someone else runs into this issue. Like I said before, I did a lot of searching and couldn't find any threads on it (maybe its not common!) haha.

Thanks again.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Put a guy that weighs 300+ lbs. (Not saying that's you!)in a seat for any length of time, and you'd be surprised what will happen to it. Add kids, a dog, or even a 100lb person (think...female) that just doesn't know or care and there is not a seat in the world that won't break-down in some way or form.
Cab drivers, (work the vehicles 24/7)& logging foremen (225lbs @ 60mph down dirt roads) are the worst. An original seat will last those guys maybe 6 mo.s. Dead foam, broken springs, frames & tracks. And some people are just pigs when it comes to interior of their vehicles. They'll let things go till they are propping things up with pieces of 4X4 wood, & holding the covers together with duct tape.
Glad I don't do that stuff anymore. I like working on vehicles that the owner cares about.

dsmproject

Reaction score
Haha, this is far from wore out! 80,000 miles, barely gets driven. I think thats the reason, it gummed up and stuck.

Bodageta1995

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody. Know how to get the plastic off and if I need to, how to get the console off. 60/40 seat. Mine sticks is problem 1, problem 2 is how to remove if I need to replace as I found another in a pull your part junkyard for $25