6 inch rcx lift help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mschaffer92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1997 gmc sierra with autotrac. Been looking at roughcountry.com and very interested in the 6 inch lift. But it shows that I need to purchase an aftermarket driveshaft. Has anyone just had their oem one lengthened? Also I was told to maybe purchase a steering stabilizer, but someone told me I should purchase 2 of them. Any advise would help before I start buying stuff with my taxes.

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
The driveshaft doesn't need to be lengthened, it needs a new shaft because without one it'll vibrate.

Mschaffer92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any other place that I can get one from besides from roughcountry. Because I would actually like to do a sas kit but no one can give me a price on how much it would actually cost. Also I have the autotrac t case which then I would have to get a different one from the stick years. So the 6 inch rcx is my best bet.

BlackBeauty

No I'm Awesome
Reaction score
An SAS isn't really a kit, even though I believe ORU offers some pieces, but basically it's a years worth of collecting parts and info... ALOT of info... You have to think about if you want a leaf sprung front, or some hybrid 4 link... Which axle you want to go with, whether you want a drivers side or passengers side drop t case, etc.

Mschaffer92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How much is something like that even cost. From the front axle mounting kit, regearing, the front and back axles. Also do you have to change the hubs to have the same kind of bolt pattern? Unforunately this is something that I would like to do if its not super expensive, but does not have that much mechanical ability to do something like this.I mean i can be mechanically inclined but when it comes to knowing gear ratios and what to put with what I'm lost. And just trying to find some guidence from someone who has done this before. But the other problem is I have the autotra transfercase and I need to put a different one in.

BlackBeauty

No I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll let Bobby answer the cost question since he's already done one... but if I had to guess I'd say $2000 (+/- $500)... It all depends on what axles (I'd suggest late '70s Ford D60 Front, 14B FF Rear), Early '90s K2500 T case, Depending on condition of axles, may want a rebuild, Yes, You can change the hubs on the Ford D60 to Chevy hubs to match the 14B FF rear bolt pattern, need K10 Front lift leafs if you're going the leaf sprung route, gonna need lengthened driveshafts, more stuff I'm forgetting that others can add, but hope this helps!!

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
So many factors go into the cost of a Sas. Decide what you want your front end to do and how beefy you need it to be then we can talk about cost. Find the right deals and it can be cheap, I did my whole swap for less than 1000 including buying some random tools.

DAGEN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I swapped both axles flipped rear shackle bought all new spring's and started with bare axle and built my own steering setup. about 7,000 including new wheels and tire's.