6-7 BTDC ok for TBI 454?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whiteboyslo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
All -

In my never-ending quest for just a smidge more power and maybe better MPG, too, I started playing with timing yesterday.

I went from the stock 4 degrees BTDC to somewhere around 6-7. She seems a bit more perky all-around, definitely a lot less throttle needed to get up and around.

I also hooked up my 1320 scan tool using the ALDL scan tool app. Knock count is 1-2 knocks on heavy throttle, maybe one or two at startup, and about 6-8 at shutdown.

I don't hear pinging, but I admittedly I'm not sure I know what I'm listening for.

So, aside from having to adjust it back before its next CA smog check, am I ok?

Mike

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
You'll be fine,mine's set at 8 BTDC.I see you've discovered these engines like a little more advance and respond well to it.Whenever it's time to Smog it I set back to 4 BTDC and all is well.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I thought 0 was stock? Either way, step up to premium gas and you can eek a few more degrees of timing from it.