6.5 to 454 vortec swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Sweet. Thank you. I know that it’s the same body and everything will fit just was looking for some info on that stuff. I’ll update when I start ripping the suburban down here in a few weeks. I’ll post my progress and any little things so someone else can do this easier or if they have questions. My really only big concern was the gen2 motor and wiring and integrating it into the gen1 interior. If I go the whole way to swap the gen 2 interior harness everything I’m guessing I should be able to stay with the push button t case. Seriously thanks everyone. The 94 3500 is in really good shape body frame wise. Should make a nice work truck for me when done:) p.s. also I’m assuming the front driveline off the suburban should work or be close? Only thing I’m missing from the 3500 dually

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I think if I were in your shoes I'd leave the interior harness alone. May open a can of worms with the gauge clusters being different. Should be a breeze to get the existing one functional the same way I did.

Reaction score
Sounds like a plan. Thank you for your input. I’m guessing the push button 4x4 would be pretty easy to wire into the existing gen 1 dash. If not I can just find a used manual t case to throw in. Also from what I’ve read I should be able to use the 94 4L80 with the 97 454. It will get a new 454 converter. I got the 97 burb years ago for $100 because of transmission problems with its 4L80. I’m pretty sure it has a bad converter and the transmission is fine, (got it to go into 3rd no problem down my street) old owner said it was shuddering and popping. the 94 was rebuilt 9,000 miles ago in 2016. It’s been sitting since 2019 but of course I’d clean it all up and put new seals on it. Also the 94 has mechanical shift linkage so would be direct in vs the 97 cable. Just wondering if I’m good to go with that or will need to use the 97 trans and convert linkage. Thank you.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think the 4L80 underwent changes the way the 60 did, so my guy seems to think the 94 stuff is the way to go here. Bueller?

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think the 4L80 underwent changes the way the 60 did, so my guy seems to think the 94 stuff is the way to go here. Bueller?
97 was a major change. 96 and older has the lubrication circuit that goes out to the cooler and then returns to the front of the trans and then runs through the geartrain to the rear. In 97 and later, the cooler ports are spread front to back and the return goes into the center support. It's debatable which way is better for various applications, but it is a major change in internal parts.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
97 was a major change. 96 and older has the lubrication circuit that goes out to the cooler and then returns to the front of the trans and then runs through the geartrain to the rear. In 97 and later, the cooler ports are spread front to back and the return goes into the center support. It's debatable which way is better for various applications, but it is a major change in internal parts.

Yes, but are the controls or the valve body any different? That's all that matters in this application.

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, but are the controls or the valve body any different? That's all that matters in this application.
Honestly I'm still not 100% sure what is being asked in this thread. The main break for CONTROLLERS on 4l80s is 1994. 91-93 used a different pressure control solenoid and needed to have different controls to use it. Here's a pretty detailed quote I found describing it:

"The control system is the same for all 4l80e's with 1 exception. 91-93 4l80e's used a different pressure control solenoid that required a cleaning cycle every 10 seconds where the solenoid was stroked from full open to full closed and back to normal operation. In 94 they changed to a solenoid that didn't require it. Due to this cleaning cycle, there was a damper circuit built in to slow line pressure changes so the cleaning cycle didn't cause issues with pressure spikes. In 94 this circuit was eliminated. Sometime in the 21st century GM changed suppliers for the pressure control solenoid again, but it still works the same way. So 94+ 4l80e and 4l85e's all work identical electrically, and you can quickly make a 91-93 work with a later controller by changing the pressure solenoid to later style.

So.. same controller should work fine for a 94 or a 97. Cooler lines will be different, both in location and size.