5W30

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

truckmandan

Reaction score
I have a 1992 Chevy K1500 with a 5.7 Liter in it. The Chilton's manual says 5W30 is recommended. Is this okay in all weather conditions? I was told in the past to use 10W30 in Winter and 10W40 in Summer. Doing a little research, this doesn't seem right at all.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
5w30 is the correct oil to use. 10w 30 is fine too and many use it. Not enough difference to matter. Especially if you're not starting it in extremely cold temps

truckmandan

Reaction score
It gets quite cold where I live in the winter. Is 5W30 best for winter? Why do they recommend 5W30? Thank you.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. As for your cold weather, well it is hot where I live, so I can't help much on that, but 5W30 is what is recommend for new engines. As your engine get old, and wears, it can use a thicker oil as the tolerances get looser.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Its kalamazoo, it dont get that cold. 5w30 will work all year long, ive done it for years and im doen by shipshewanna

truckmandan

Reaction score
Its kalamazoo, it dont get that cold. 5w30 will work all year long, ive done it for years and im doen by shipshewanna
I think its colder here than in Shipshewana. I used to go there alot when I lived in Elkhart. I'm still not sure why they recommend 5W30. Won't any oil work depending on the weather?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks. I think it has close to 200,000 on it. So, like a 10W40 or SAE30 would be better? Thanks again.
I would not use 30 W oil, but 5w30 or 10w30 or 10w40 should be fine. I have 230,000 on my truck and I use 10w30, but like I said, it never gets cold here. Maybe in the teens for a day or two, once or twice in a ten year period. then it warms up. It also almost never snows here. It may have snowed here 6 times in the last 60 years, and in those 60 years, it may have stuck to the ground 3 times. Also keep this in mind. These engines were built to run conventional oil. synthetic is grate, but will clean so well, that if you have a slow leak, it can get worse with synthetic oil. IMO sythetic oil is grate in an aluminum engine, but in a cast iron block with cast iron heads, conventional oil is fine.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media