5 Pinion Planets..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Difference between a 5 pinion rear planet and 4 pinion. The 5 pinion is definitely an upgrade, but we have had several have a small whine when installed.
You must be registered for see images attach

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the whine attributed to the way the planetary gears are cut, or have you found the part to be actually defective? GM's planetary is the way to go then?

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you get one, make sure its a GM planet. The one's we had whine were from an aftermarket source which is much cheaper but the Chinese just didn't make the grade. If you get one, make sure it's a GM. They are around $125.00.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It bout has to be the way the gear is cut, I took two apart and the bearings were good, no pits, everything looked perfect.

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good to know. When I'm ready to rebuild mine I'll definitely be bugging you. :)

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It bout has to be the way the gear is cut, I took two apart and the bearings were good, no pits, everything looked perfect.

It can also be a surface finish variation. Too high of an RA value and gears will be noisy.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
Roughness average. Basically how smooth the surface of the gear is. They use the same value to show surface finish of a cylinder head is.