5/8 drop question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
One problem though, the weld's on the sides look like they were welded going downhill and that's an absolute no no you need to go up to get proper penetration of the metal. They do look nice, but I learned in welding school that downhill is no good, my instructor would have made me grind that all off and start over.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I forgot to say it's because your molten pool will drag down in the semicircular motion that you weld in, but it doesn't penetrate as well as uphill.

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks dropped93.. Ok what spindles do I need to say way from? I've heard some break!

Also I need some more info on the cutting of the a-arms and why? Can you post a picture of this done? Just not real big on cutting on a-arms!!

dropped93

I want one of everything
Reaction score
give me a few minutes and ill go take a pic of my a-arms. your only cutting the lip off the sides. hundreds of people have done it and it doesnt hurt the structual integrity. i run djm spindles havent had a problem yet

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
I forgot to say it's because your molten pool will drag down in the semicircular motion that you weld in, but it doesn't penetrate as well as uphill.

x2, and penetration is important on the frame, Im planning to get that notch, and will post pictures after my grandpa welds it in, You guys wont believe how nice his welds are (Been welding since he was 14, now 68)

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
give me a few minutes and ill go take a pic of my a-arms. your only cutting the lip off the sides. hundreds of people have done it and it doesnt hurt the structual integrity. i run djm spindles havent had a problem yet

I run belltech spindles with the gutters cut off the a-arms, truck was like that when i got it, not one problem.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks dropped93.. Ok what spindles do I need to say way from? I've heard some break!

Avoid Chassis Tech/AIM/Truckn.com and whatever other names they may go by these days. They're all the same company and should be avoided.

Also I need some more info on the cutting of the a-arms and why? Can you post a picture of this done? Just not real big on cutting on a-arms!!

Here's a picture of a trimmed arm...

You must be registered for see images attach

Spindles lower the truck by moving the axle pin to a higher location on the spindle. This, in turn, makes the control arm sit lower inside the wheel than before. With the stock spindles, there is plenty of room when you turn because the control arm is located near the center of the wheel. With the control arms being moved towards the bottom of the wheel's curve with stock spindles, it gives less clearance for turns with smaller diameter wheels, so they rub the control arms. Trimming the rain gutters back about 6" gives plenty of clearance to eliminate the rubbing issues.

It's been done many, many, many times with no negative effects due to lost structural integrity, but if you're really that worried, you can weld a plate on the bottom of the control arms to box in that section.

dropped93

I want one of everything
Reaction score
he beat me to it but yea. mine arent trimmed enough yet anyways and still chew on the wheel time tto time haha