5.7L Vortec - Ticking Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adambru

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 98' sierra 240km on it, I have been having this ticking sound problem for about 4 or 5 months now. When i am going up a hill around 80 to 90kmh is when i can notice it the most. At first i thought it was rod knock, but when i lsitened closely it sounded like a tick more than a knock (thank god). Anyone have an idea what this may be? Some forums suggest its a bad lifter or valve. If it is something major i am going to rebuild!!

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
since it's more pronounced under load, exhaust leak at the donut gasket is a good possibility

Talisman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have headers on mine and they tick just like you describe from the donut gasket... I hate that thing

JAW's

B/W Country & Amer. R&R
Reaction score
I have headers on mine and they tick just like you describe from the donut gasket... I hate that thing

X2 and i tightened down i even bent one of the flanges... pita... i need to fix it it annoys the hell out of me every time i drive it (everyday) lol

adambru

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm so this can be a fairly simple fix if it really is an exhaust leak? Trying to avoid taking it in to the mechanic