5.7L to a 6.0L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aob270

Reaction score
I have a 98 sierra that recently blew the head gasket out of it on a highway. I'm wanting to swap to a 2006 gm 6.0L vortec but I'm not sure how well it will bolt in. The major issue I'm gonna have is all the PCM and electronic issues. I am looking for some help here to see if anyone can basically tell me what I'll need to get and how to swap the electronics. Any help you guys have will be awesome. And will my 4L60E trans fit onto the newer motor. Email me please at [email protected] and help me out please. I really love my truck and want to see it resurrected. If your wondering why I'm not just gonna replace the head gasket, my truck has 373300 KM's on it. Everything else on the truck is mint condition and eventually wanna do custom paint, lift etc. Gotta get the power plant solid first.

Thanks guys!

blackcoffee

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dude good choice go for it and don't look back. I suggest renting a car or burrowing one for awhile or ride a motorcycle or something till its done. Its gonna take you atleat a couple weeks to gather parts and then 2 weekends to do the swap. First type in LQ4 6.0L swap into this sites search, gmfullsize, tahoeyukonforum, pirate4x4, ls1tech, theres a few pretty thorough threads that you could probably follow and do the swap. When you take a look at that stuff come back and ask questions if you need further help.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with that swap, I have a 6.0 and love it, for in depth info on that swap check out LS1truck.com.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dude good choice go for it and don't look back. I suggest renting a car or burrowing one for awhile or ride a motorcycle or something till its done. Its gonna take you atleat a couple weeks to gather parts and then 2 weekends to do the swap. First type in LQ4 6.0L swap into this sites search, gmfullsize, tahoeyukonforum, pirate4x4, ls1tech, theres a few pretty thorough threads that you could probably follow and do the swap. When you take a look at that stuff come back and ask questions if you need further help.
I want to do the same swap someday. If you do newer than 2002 it's drive by wire and you'll have to swap pedals and stuff too. It's not much harder to do a drive by wire swap I've heard just something to be aware of. For the PCM I'd look into using a 411 PCM. The 411 is capable of controlling both the older motors (which makes it compatible with everything else on the truck) and the gen IV motors also. You'll have to get the proper tune but that's something that you can look into learning with EFI live or maybe send it to some sort of mail order tuner. There is a section on this site where several members have done it. IT's the LSX and Carb swap section in the Engine performance section. There's the sites that were mentioned above which will be a great resource.

aob270

Reaction score
You can't go wrong with that swap, I have a 6.0 and love it, for in depth info on that swap check out LS1truck.com.

Ok... so what I got from all that is I'll need new mounts, fuel pump and a wiring harness? still completely lost tho. Im just confused as to the harness and if the two have to be married or if the custom harness will be a plug and play.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a harness and ECU all the down to the O2 sensors, from a stroked, blown LS. $75 plus shipping.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Come up with a budget.
Double it.
Enjoy new, modern drivetrain.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't worry about the mounts they sell fully adjustable ones so the motor will fit. From what I understand you also might have to buy a new flexplate to mate the motor and the older trans, it's sort of an adapter flexplate if you will. I've been looking at doing this for some time now and really did my research. You're also going to need a different fuel pump, ecm, wiring harness, and all that. Also, something I'm not too sure on but your stock gauge cluster apparently it's a ***** to wire in all the new stuff with the old cluster so you should look at upgrading and buying a nbs cluster 99-07 and preferably one around the same year as the motor and with close mileage but apparently by upgrading clusters it makes that tiny portion of the swap a whole lot easier.

Your best bet for information is LS1truck.com over there the information is concentrated down perfectly to exactly what you will need to know. This is the type of thing you need to set a budget, and plan on it doubling on you halfway through but don't let that get you down it can be done and has been many a times. Lots of LS swapped gm400's over there on ls1 so give them a look!!