5.7 vortec wiring??? help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dopeskater

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
soo i got my suburban home and the vortec was already almost out cuz it was siezed and so on. the original owner had already starting pulling it. well he un plugged all the plugs for the harness and now that i have the new vortec bolted in. i cant figure out witch plug goes where? some of em are obvious but other im not sure. if anyone has a diagram that would be soo helpful. ive already looked online a bit and found nothing. let me know. thanks guys

RPMGraphics

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i'm looking for this too. if you found one please let me know.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have a file or anything like that, but if you have specific connectors you're wondering about, a pic, and/or description, we may be able to help you out.

RPMGraphics

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
here's the deal, i'm swapping an LS1 into my truck. i sold my old motor with the harness then realized i still need part of the harness for some things, a/c, fuse center, firewall plug, etc...
i bought a harness from pull a part but the engine was already pulled so i couldn't label what the plugs went to.
i know most of this i will not use but i would like to make sure i don't remove anything i'll need & would like to know what the plugs are for in case anyone ever needs them.
on to the pics. i tried to take them in order from the firewall plug to the trans.

You must be registered for see images attach

pretty sure these went to the throttle body, TPS, IAC but not sure what the other plug & cut wires go to around there.

next up the harness. i think the one with the tape on it is for the temp sensor

the one's tied together, blue & purple i think are for the starter, once again i'm not sure what the others are for.

pretty sure these are for the a/c & heat & maybe one for the squirters?

this group is right before the trans plugs.

& obviously the trans plugs.

if anyone can help identify any of these that would be great. i know there's the o2 sensors (should be 4), MAP, MAF, air temp, crank, knock, etc.. just not sure what is what.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what year truck is that harness from? there were a few variations from year to year.

RPMGraphics

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i don't know the exact year it was. i couldn't get the door open, but from the dash it had to be 97-99 & it was 2wd.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is tough, I'm not used to looking at the sensors sprawled out already removed from the truck like that, its kinda hard to imagine their positioning, but I'll give it a shot if I can, it may not be 100% as I'm at work and doing this all my memory, but might help you a little. I'll put my responses in bold below:

pretty sure these went to the throttle body, TPS, IAC but not sure what the other plug & cut wires go to around there.
The two terminal plugs are for the IAC and TPS as you said, the ring terminal is the ground up by the thermostat housing, that 4 terminal plug is probably the EGR, and the cut wires are probably from the ECT sensor (there are 2 of them on these trucks) that is located by the thermostat housing this ECT sensor feeds data to the PCM itself for everything EXCEPT the temp gauge

next up the harness. i think the one with the tape on it is for the temp sensor
yeah that one with the tape and only 1 wire should be the ECT sensor that is down on the drivers side head, this sensor ONLY runs the gauge in the cluster, I THINK the bright red connector just to the left of the ECT connector in this pic is for one of the EVAP pieces (probably the purge solenoid IIRC), that big square connector in the upper left corner of the pic I'm thinking is the fuel meterinig body connector which is all the fuel injector wiring, the other ones in the pic I'm not sure about at the moment, if I think of them I'll get back to you.

the one's tied together, blue & purple i think are for the starter, once again i'm not sure what the others are for.
yeah I think the cut blue and purple are for the starter, this would indicate that its probably a 98-99 truck this is off of, as the earlier ones had big fat yellow and purple starter wires....the round one I believe is for the low pressure switch in the A/C circuit, its located on the drier mounted at the firewall, I think the 3 terminal connector might be for the MAF sensor, and the 2 terminal one maybe for the IAT sensor in the air ducting just before the MAF)

pretty sure these are for the a/c & heat & maybe one for the squirters?
squirters? I think the round connector here is the sensor on the back of the A/C compressor, the two terminal connector might be the high pressure switch on the A/C line coming out of the compressor, not sure about the others.

this group is right before the trans plugs.
that male terminal one might be the bank 2 sensor 1 O2 sensor, not sure about the other

Thats all I can think of at the moment, like I said going from those pics is pretty hard to identify them. however judging from those cut starter wires I would think its probably a '98 or '99. which should be VERY similar to each other. you might be able to use some of these wiring schematics to identify the connectors based from the wire colors:
http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/wiringdiagrams/1998.html
http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/wiringdiagrams/1999.html

it won't be the most fun thing to do cruising around wiring schematics but that's the closest thing I have that might help out.

off the top of my head you'll have the following connectors to account for depending on how much of the harness you acquired:
IAT, MAF, MAP, EVAP Purge, EVAP vent, fuel metering body, IAC, TPS, 2 wire ECT, 1 wire ECT, EGR, high pressure AC switch, Low pressure AC switch, AC compressor control, AC connector on the back of the compressor, CKP sensor, CMP sensor, coil, ignition module, Trans, P/N safety switch, 4 O2 sensors, VSS, 4 PCM connectors....thats all I can think of right now, I may have missed a few.

sorry I couldn't be more help.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah thats for the '96s, I posted links to the 98 and 99 GMT400 diagrams I have too, which I think is what his harness is from, there were a bit of changes between 96 and 98 in the harnesses

here's the root directory for all my wiring diagrams if you need any other ones for whatever reason:
http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/wiringdiagrams/wiringdiagrams.html