5/7 drop guys.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blue_92_sierra

Aftermath
Reaction score
hey, just wondering what shocks you guys recommend with a 7-8'' rear drop? i currently have monroe airshocks in the rear with my 6'' drop and like the adjustability of them but in order to get the stance i want i have to run the minimum amount of 20psi in them and with that low of psi they ride like **** and my axle seems to smack my frame on bigger bumps. im wondering if i should just run normal shocks, i have doeschtechs up front and so far i like them so im wondering if i should do a 7'' rear drop and take out the airshocks, or do a 8'' rear drop and just pump up the airshocks more so the rear rides a little better. also how level does a 5/7 drop sit?? i wanna keep my truck as level as possible or have maybe a slight rake, nothing huge though. my rear tires are about an inch taller than my fronts (275/35 & 255/35) so if i switch to just a 7'' rear drop and 5'' in the front am i gonna have a huge rake or be fairly level with nothing more than a slight rake?? thanks in advance!

Devs93

OBS 4 EVA
Reaction score
Im rrunning summit shocks but i think I may need to get 1 shorter one. id have to look up the exact part #s

obs jp

Reaction score
hey, just wondering what shocks you guys recommend with a 7-8'' rear drop? i currently have monroe airshocks in the rear with my 6'' drop and like the adjustability of them but in order to get the stance i want i have to run the minimum amount of 20psi in them and with that low of psi they ride like **** and my axle seems to smack my frame on bigger bumps. im wondering if i should just run normal shocks, i have doeschtechs up front and so far i like them so im wondering if i should do a 7'' rear drop and take out the airshocks, or do a 8'' rear drop and just pump up the airshocks more so the rear rides a little better. also how level does a 5/7 drop sit?? i wanna keep my truck as level as possible or have maybe a slight rake, nothing huge though. my rear tires are about an inch taller than my fronts (275/35 & 255/35) so if i switch to just a 7'' rear drop and 5'' in the front am i gonna have a huge rake or be fairly level with nothing more than a slight rake?? thanks in advance!

Do you have a drop of 5 in the front? if so what tire size are you running? thanks

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm still running oEM style air shocks on mine with about 40 lbs, rides OK but could be better. It was a lot of work to get it where its at today, flip kit, 1" blocks, 2" shackles and had to have the old C notch redone with an Above frame/below bed step notch because it bottomed out a lot, I even had to drop tire size, now once in awhile.
It sits pretty level so its good enough, I do want QA1's for the front in the near future.
Bobby V

You must be registered for see images attach

sled

Reaction score
5" up front? right... what size wheels are those? I am running a 5/8? i believe, 2" spindles, 3" springs in the front, flip kit, AVS under bed, and 2" shackles in the rear on 20" boss wheels and i dont tuck that much rim, maybe in the back but my truck no longer has rake so the front doesn't tuck. I did have to bang out the inner fender wells for clearance so id stop rubbing tire, I also do bottom out in the rear and plan on going with helper bags so i can retain tow capacity (which ****** me off because i would of just bagged it). As far as shocks there is a post on here somewhere where someone has converted an oem setup for ability to use cheap Monroe shocks, i think im using durango shocks on the rear. ill see if i can find the post and link it. They dont ride bad but i do bottom out and need to get the shock extenders because without them it just floats a little to much.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/the-shock-thread.5263/page-14#post-991290

Post #139 Credit: Mrbrown510

"Rear: 1990 jeep cherokee 2wd 6cyl mfi ohv shocks work
Front:2000 dodge durango 2wd 5.2l v8 ohv shocks work"

Last edited:

rojas84

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
5" up front? right... what size wheels are those? I am running a 5/8? i believe, 2" spindles, 3" springs in the front, flip kit, AVS under bed, and 2" shackles in the rear on 20" boss wheels and i dont tuck that much rim, maybe in the back but my truck no longer has rake so the front doesn't tuck. I did have to bang out the inner fender wells for clearance so id stop rubbing tire, I also do bottom out in the rear and plan on going with helper bags so i can retain tow capacity (which ****** me off because i would of just bagged it). As far as shocks there is a post on here somewhere where someone has converted an oem setup for ability to use cheap Monroe shocks, i think im using durango shocks on the rear. ill see if i can find the post and link it. They dont ride bad but i do bottom out and need to get the shock extenders because without them it just floats a little to much.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/the-shock-thread.5263/page-14#post-991290

Post #139 Credit: Mrbrown510

"Rear: 1990 jeep cherokee 2wd 6cyl mfi ohv shocks work
Front:2000 dodge durango 2wd 5.2l v8 ohv shocks work"

Yep same ones on mine I went with air shocks in the rear though from cherokee

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sled

Reaction score
Rojas,

I just checked out your build post and its coming along nicely. Honestly im very jealous, i want a crewcab bad. So you converted a 2500 to a 1500? how difficult was it? im assuming the hardest part was sourcing a rear end? Did you have to swap out any of the control arms or did the 1500 spindle work on the 2500 arms? I assume its got a 5.7? hows that with the heavier frame? (im assuming its heavier) I dont have the shock extenders on mine so the back floats badly, How do you like the air shocks? have you towed anything with the with significant weight? I put a riding lawn mower in the back of mine and it had no issues sitting directly on the frame so i was thinking about going with helper bags but then i might as well of bagged it.

Yep same ones on mine I went with air shocks in the rear though from cherokee

rojas84

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rojas,

I just checked out your build post and its coming along nicely. Honestly im very jealous, i want a crewcab bad. So you converted a 2500 to a 1500? how difficult was it? im assuming the hardest part was sourcing a rear end? Did you have to swap out any of the control arms or did the 1500 spindle work on the 2500 arms? I assume its got a 5.7? hows that with the heavier frame? (im assuming its heavier) I dont have the shock extenders on mine so the back floats badly, How do you like the air shocks? have you towed anything with the with significant weight? I put a riding lawn mower in the back of mine and it had no issues sitting directly on the frame so i was thinking about going with helper bags but then i might as well of bagged it.
Thankyou took me a year to find this one lol.. as for the suspension swap the front was just spindle and upper control arm the lower control arm and steering components are the same from 1/2 ton to 3/4 .the towing part I haven't had to load or tow anything yet but as u said i will be getting helper bags eventually.

JCasnva

Reaction score
I'm running load assist shocks from a 95 Nissan hardbody. I have really worn leafsprings and I got tired of bottoming out all the time. These made the ride so much better. Only thing is they lifted the rear up an inch but my 8in drop was a little more like a 9.25 with my crappy leafsprings