5.3 Build for 95 1/2 ton swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rreistino7

Reaction score
Kinda new to the LS stuff but I'm building a 5.3 from a 03 1/2ton for my swap using 5.3 stock bottom end 243 heads upgraded trunions TSP magic stick 3 cam, ported truck intake 80mm throttle body 34lb injectors and long tube headers 3400 stall BTE converter and full built 4l60e looking to build a hot street daily will this combo work well I'm open to any changes.

SlowZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
why such a high stall converter.....are you drag racing? what are the specs and rpm range of that cam?

I don't remember off the top of my head, but the MS3 is somewhere around 23X/23X duration, it's a pretty big cam, relatively speaking.

OP, what are your intentions for this truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
I don't remember off the top of my head, but the MS3 is somewhere around 23X/23X duration, it's a pretty big cam, relatively speaking.

OP, what are your intentions for this truck?

his post said a "hot street daily".....

i found it i think: https://www.texas-speed.com/p-1152-texas-speed-magic-stick-3-238242-600600-camshaft.aspx

i'm just curious...i came up on carburetors, stroker Harleys and low end torque......my brother just bought a beauty stock '00 5.3 rcsb with 3.73's and i find it revs more before it really starts making power, unlike a TBI or Vortec truck, but i can't imagine that stall off the 1/4 rip. i just put a GM HT383E in my truck and after 3 converters settled on 2000-2400 for MY recipe and how i drive it.....i know, apples to bowling balls.

i'm NOT a car or truck engine builder....i just made many mistakes when i was young learning to build hot rod panheads and shovelheads.....the same principals carry over to any internal combustion engine.

seems you have to do quite a bit of work to get this cam "streetable".......i know NOW what it takes......i built a 83" pump gas shovelhead with 102/96.....i COULD semi-daily ride it, but it sure as hell wasn't the best setup for that task, was glad i had another bike for that.

i only got involved because i want to learn about these Star Trek engines myself....i'll go back to my corner and just watch now.

SlowZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw that after re-reading his post, and I ask because his idea of a hot street DD could be different then mine. He may find that a donkey dick (IMO) cam and a super loose converter are not beneficial for what he wants.

Edit: I've owned several tbi trucks and a vortec 350 truck. They all have more low end torque then my 5.3 in my 01 stepside, but I attribute that more to the displacement then the cam design or anything else really. Eventually, I'll put a LQ4 and a Maggie tvs1900 or 2300 in my truck. EVENTUALLY ha

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
i did build an entire bike around an old Leineweber custom ground cam. a brother had found it buried in the back of a defunct speed shop..... it had the original hand written cam card in the aging box, twas from 1975....we even called Jim Leineweber for his advise, he STILL answers the phone and he's in his 80's now....nitro legend....and he told us that he made the cam for Jimmy Simpson of Tramontin Harley fame. he WAS a cult legend too.....i own a set of his hand built shovelheads......gonna build a motor with those one day.

anyway....took a long time and lots of wrench spinnin to get the entire recipe dialed in.....porting/welding and re-re-reporting the heads to get it "right"..advancing/retarding cam timing...few different valve size combos, etc.............eventually we got it.......and it sure was a purpose built engine.........yea, i've done some "not the smartest" things......now i know better, LOL.

guess i derailed his thread, sorry.

Rreistino7

Reaction score
I'm new to the ls platform but I have built several big blocks and small blocks yes the duration of that cam is a little big for the weight of the truck why I was thinking 3200-3400 converter yes a converter like that will require a bigger trans cooler but will it be that hard to tune and that unhappy driving 8 miles to work a few days a week and running around my small little town of 1500 people

SlowZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO you will be happier with a smaller cam and converter. I'd look at the Vinci trucker cams or the comp 212/218. Tuning it in person would be best, but depending on what part of the country you're in, may be a bit harder to find someone who knows that they're doing, especially with a larger cam and converter. Oh, and consider some bigger injectors like the marine 8.1 injectors. They are 42 lbs with are big enough to support most mods you may consider in the future. I think the stockers are like 28 lbs and small even for a tuned and longtube equipped engine. I would encourage you to do a search for that on performancetrucks.net, but I caution you, that site is highly addictive! That's where I spend most of my time. Many a build on that site has snowballed into turbo 4.8's and insane 408 ci engines. The guys there really know their LS stuff though

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
I'm new to the ls platform but I have built several big blocks and small blocks yes the duration of that cam is a little big for the weight of the truck why I was thinking 3200-3400 converter yes a converter like that will require a bigger trans cooler but will it be that hard to tune and that unhappy driving 8 miles to work a few days a week and running around my small little town of 1500 people

well, duration only tells a part of the story.

i hope you "build" this engine on here so we all can learn....

in the future i'm considering a gmt400 platform 2wd with a next gen 4.8 and 5 speed for a fair weather, more fuel efficient vehicle than my 4x4....or a Vortec 4.3...i'll be moving upstate NY again and 20K a year is not hard to do, longer snow seasons as well... right now i ride around 12K a year and put about 3K on a cage....i'm also in NYC.

looking forward to your progress.....and knowledgeable insight from "those that went before".