4x4 to 2wd??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Offroadaddict

Reaction score
Ok so I may sound crazy and alot of you may think I'm stupid for even considering this but read the full post before commenting please.
Truck specs:
1998 z71
5.7 vortec
4x4
Auto trans.

I have been wanting to build a prerunner for awhile now but I can't afford a 4x4 long travel kit.
I'm contemplating pulling all the 4x4 stuff, put in a 2wd tranny and driveshaft. Then put a twin I beam upfront? I have searched but can't find any build threads.. Any input?
(Reason I won't sell this truck is because I've had it awhile and I'm attached to it now. So none of the just sell it and buy a 2wd please.. And sorry for any mistakes I typed this from my phone.

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
Well you wont need a new trans.. just the rear coupling. A 4x4 has a circle with 4 holes to attach to a transfer case. A 2wd trans has a different coupling that's longer and attaches directly to the driveshaft. As far as front suspension, I have no clue

-Sent from the riced out Eclipse!

Offroadaddict

Reaction score
Well you wont need a new trans.. just the rear coupling. A 4x4 has a circle with 4 holes to attach to a transfer case. A 2wd trans has a different coupling that's longer and attaches directly to the driveshaft. As far as front suspension, I have no clue

I thought the tail/output shaft was shorter on the 4x4 transmission? Easier to just trade or sell the 4x4 tranny and buy a 2wd?

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Just a thought.....for what it will cost you to convert your truck to 2wd and rip out its front suspension why not just keep your truck as is and buy a 2wd to turn into a prerunner? Just the fab work to replace the 4wd ifs with a different setup would be costly....watch your local craigslist for a cheap 2wd project truck, throw an rcx lift kit in it and enjoy having a 4wd dd and 2wd toy.

Sent from a 6.5 Detroit Diesel powered smartphone

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
I thought the tail/output shaft was shorter on the 4x4 transmission? Easier to just trade or sell the 4x4 tranny and buy a 2wd?

If I remember right, they are the same except the tail on a 2wd trans is longer.maybe someone who knows for sure will chime in to verify this..

And if it is right, I wouldn't sell the 4x4 trans for a 2wd one because you'd have absolutely no idea what condition that transmission you're buying is in...

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
If I remember right, they are the same except the tail on a 2wd trans is longer.maybe someone who knows for sure will chime in to verify this..

And if it is right, I wouldn't sell the 4x4 trans for a 2wd one because you'd have absolutely no idea what condition that transmission you're buying is in...

2wd and 4wd output shaft length is different, there are different length tail housings for 2wd so may be something close enough out there, the biggest issue would be vss and reluctor wheel out on the shorter 4x4 output shaft

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well if you were in TX, I'd tell you to bring it over to me and we could do a full swap because I have 2WD and want 4WD.