4x4 Low driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
How bad is it to drive in 4x4 low at high speeds 60-70km/hr. My girlfriend took my truck to work the other day cause the roads were bad, I told her to just keep it in 4x4 till the roads were clear. I had bad gas in the truck a few days before and told her to watch how it runs, I told her it chugged and shifted weird when it had bad gas. she said it chugged when she got going fast and shifted weird too.... this is because she drove in 4x4 low... the whole way... over an hour... so what could this have hurt? like really excessive wear on any parts? for some reason she only burned a quarter tank too.. weird

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Not good on the locker or engine(stupid high RPMs at 60mph in 4 lo). Also not good if the front and rear tires aren't exactly the same height. The engine characteristics are changed when in 4 lo as well. It reduces throttle input by about 50% meaning it will take longer for the engine to tach out. Turning it tight on pavement will really stress the CV shafts and front axle housing as well. If it is doing fine now, chances are there isn't any long term damage.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
Yeah i dont think it would go 60mph, i tried it after she told me and i revved 4k at 60kms, i didnt wanna go faster. good thing my lockers broke and my tires are brand new I guess. hopefully nothing else fails too quick.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Wow I didn't think that even 60 km/hr was achievable. Not sure I've ever gone over 10 mph in 4-low.

Hopefully it was just a good learning experience for her!