4low strong enough for racing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
The transfer case does have a set of planetary gears inside it to accomplish the reduction. I think the shift dogs that engage the low range and 4x4 will break before the actual gears do.

highperf4x4

Original Male
Reaction score
With all the money you dumped into it you skipped the most important things for a mud truck gears and big tires

Haven't skipped anything yet. The most important thing about a mud truck is lift. Which is why I bought 33s to start with. Now that I've raised it another 6" I can go bigger. Lower gears with the 5speed that had a 4:1 first gear was pointless. This is just planning ahead to save time. I want to get back in the mud.

Last edited:

highperf4x4

Original Male
Reaction score
Is it a daily or just a mud truck? 4.56 however sh!tty with a dd, would get her spinnin quick with 33s. And being able to handle higher rpms with the 383 helps also. For a mud truck, that would probably be your best bet. As a dd, 4.10s would be descent while still streetable.

The fuel I run is about 8.00/gallon so I don't drive it anymore. Trailer only now. If I put gears in it I will definitely go 4.56. The tires are only going to get bigger.

highperf4x4

Original Male
Reaction score
With 425ish hp I would think it has enough ass to get goin. Figure out where your tq peaks and dump it from that rpm. Clutch may not like it so well but that's probably your best bet in my opinion.

It has ass like you wouldn't believe. I came in 4th last race. But, who wants to keep coming in 4th? LOL

I think you missed the part where I pulled the 5 speed and I'm in the process of installing a race built TH400 right now. That's why I'm in here talking gears. First gear in the 400 is 2.48:1

Last edited:

highperf4x4

Original Male
Reaction score
The transfer case does have a set of planetary gears inside it to accomplish the reduction. I think the shift dogs that engage the low range and 4x4 will break before the actual gears do.

Thanks. This is what I needed to know.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
id see if you could swap to a 205 and clock it 180, dont know if thats possible but its worth looking into, those are indestructable, as long as they have fluid theyll work.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
It has ass like you wouldn't believe. I came in 4th last race. But, who wants to keep coming in 4th? LOL

I think you missed the part where I pulled the 5 speed and I'm in the process of installing a race built TH400 right now. That's why I'm in here talking gears. First gear in the 400 is 2.48:1

Yup totally missed it. In that case you should be able to be fine in 4hi with a stall converter

TerryD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it's race only, you need a torque converter that stalls up higher. That'll help your launch RPM.

As for the $8/gal fuel, I know a lot of drag racers are switching over to e-85 because it resists knock as well as (or better than) most race gasses and is like $3/gal. You'll have to jet up a bit on a carburetor because it takes a little more of the e-85 to reach stoich than gas, but it's not really that much and I think there are calculators online for determining jet size.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Haven't skipped anything yet. The most important thing about a mud truck is lift. Which is why I bought 33s to start with. Now that I've raised it another 6" I can go bigger. Lower gears with the 5speed that had a 4:1 first gear was pointless. This is just planning ahead to save time. I want to get back in the mud.

Wrong the most important part of a mud truck is tires