4l80e swap thread... Again...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those are the basics. From there, id prob install the Sonnax 4L80-LB1 boost valve kit and their TCC regulator valve in the valve body. Then install Central Valve Bodies' AFL valve. This way you proactively address three common trouble spots. From there you can drill the 1-2,2-3 and 3-4 a little bit if you want to firm up the shifts but that's your call.
FWIW, the sonnax spring included with the LB1 boost valve kit isn't needed until the 800HP range. I just run the OE spring with the LB1 valve. No point making the pump work harder than it needs to.

I agree with the the HD2 kit is hot garbage, I will never run one again! NEVER install the pressure relief mod either, I think it is also included in the Transgo SK kit as well.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, the sonnax spring included with the LB1 boost valve kit isn't needed until the 800HP range. I just run the OE spring with the LB1 valve. No point making the pump work harder than it needs to.

I agree with the the HD2 kit is hot garbage, I will never run one again! NEVER install the pressure relief mod either, I think it is also included in the Transgo SK kit as well.
I've torn down many 4L80Es w/Transgo HD2 kits and the SK4L80Es all burnt /scorched w/that pressure relief valve installed. Most of the time the stupid thing gets stuck open and burns up the unit...Sometimes people don't drill the hole perfectly round either so there's leakage (I imagine Transgo figures everyone would use a drill press). I use the spring for when HP levels exceed 700HP and racing is on the menu but yes, other than that it's not necessary. Largely the same w/the equivalent TH400 kit from Sonnax...High line pressure is a concern with both of those units.

Between the stupid sandwich plate and pressure relief mod, those kits are worthless...Sharp contrast to the HD2 for the 4L60E. I actually like that kit and think it's a nice, out of the box solution for anyone that just wants something to plug and play...I almost never run any shift kits these days, it's a lot easier and more cost effective to do the hydraulic mods myself.

Sonnax boost valves are a mainstay for most transmissions that I rebuild.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've torn down many 4L80Es w/Transgo HD2 kits and the SK4L80Es all burnt /scorched w/that pressure relief valve installed. Most of the time the stupid thing gets stuck open and burns up the unit...Sometimes people don't drill the hole perfectly round either so there's leakage (I imagine Transgo figures everyone would use a drill press). I use the spring for when HP levels exceed 700HP and racing is on the menu but yes, other than that it's not necessary. Largely the same w/the equivalent TH400 kit from Sonnax...High line pressure is a concern with both of those units.

Between the stupid sandwich plate and pressure relief mod, those kits are worthless...Sharp contrast to the HD2 for the 4L60E. I actually like that kit and think it's a nice, out of the box solution for anyone that just wants something to plug and play...I almost never run any shift kits these days, it's a lot easier and more cost effective to do the hydraulic mods myself.

Sonnax boost valves are a mainstay for most transmissions that I rebuild.
I really like the Sonax spring/pressure boost valves. Horsepower is not the only reason to use the Sonnax spring. Towing heavy trailers or RV use needs a bit more line pressure to keep the transmission from slipping the clutches. This is especially true on trucks using the stock tuning.

For the 700r4/4L60Es I really like the pinless accumulator pistons and the Sonnax 2nd gear and 4th gear billet servos. I use the shims to shim the servo pin as well. I have changed the band anchor pin without completely tearing down the unit as well. If I am ever inside the unit, I use a fresh drum and the widest 2/4 band I can use. For towing I do not use the power pack clutches as the thinner clutches do not hold up well and are prone to overheating. For the 4L80Es I tend to use the later high energy clutches like my 4L85E came stock with.

Last edited:

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like the Sonax spring/pressure boost valves. Horsepower is not the only reason to use the Sonnax spring. Towing heavy trailers or RV use needs a bit more line pressure to keep the transmission from slipping the clutches. This is especially true on trucks using the stock tuning.

For the 700r4/4L60Es I really like the pinless accumulator pistons and the Sonnax 2nd gear and 4th gear billet servos. I use the shims to shim the servo pin as well. I have changed the band anchor pin without completely tearing down the unit as well. If I am ever inside the unit, I use a fresh drum and the widest 2/4 band I can use. For towing I do not use the power pack clutches as the thinner clutches do not hold up well and are prone to overheating. For the 4L80Es I tend to use the later high energy clutches like my 4L85E came stock with.
Plus one to all of that...I also use the Sonnax 2/4th servos and pinless accumulators for anything high performance...The superior Tech servo kit is also fine but you have to be careful about 2nd feed orifice sizing and how much you shim the 1-2 (I basically don't shim it at all unless stall is above 4k). And yes, the LB4L80E spring does come in handy for that as well, especially if you're not dual feeding the direct clutch (most of the time I dual feed).

High energy clutches are good for literally 99% of applications out there...I'll only use more specialized clutches in full race and only for the direct but most of the time, the BW HEs are good to go.

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man there is a lot of good information here! Thanks for all the back and forth y'all!

Got the tranny in. Just doing some preliminary things to get her installed.

Replaced the torque converter seal and the speed sensors. Rear seal looked really healthy. I figured out the wiring for the sensors to my 0411 too. After going through the pin out spreadsheet I had for the pcm swap, I was able to determine what needed to be changed. Got a new dipstick, flexplate, and cooler lines too. I just gotta get my commuter back and I'll be ready to start the swap.

Much excite!