4L80e swap questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lamogo33

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got my 454 bolted into my 92 K1500. I was planning on swapping transmissions later on down the road, however yesterday I hit a snag. I needed to drill my bbc flexplate for the 700R4 trans. I 've heard of people doing this without issues but it has made me consider changing trans sooner. I have two options as follows:

1. This engine came with a 4L80e but it is a 2wd trans. Should I rebuild this one and convert to 4WD? Would my current transfer case work, or do I need to find another?

2. I can get my hands on a 96 suburban with 7.4 Vortec with 4L80e. Initial research says my 94 computer and wiring harness will work with this. Is it true? Also will that transfer case work in my truck? My truck has a lever on the floor but the suburban doesn't...

Right now what is easiest and most economical is best. I also live far (2 hours) from a junkyard so getting my hands on a parts rig would be that much better. That way I do not need to have to look for stuff like drive shafts. If I went option 2 I just want to make sure it is a near direct bolt up.