4L80E in place of 4L60E

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score
I know this has been hashed and rehashed, simplest is to get a 4X4 4L80 w/ transfercase, but the buggers want to much for one that I will rebuild any way. so!! I know that there is a output shaft that I can accuire that will fit into my 4L60 transfer case. ( can't seem to find it on the net tonight??) anybody got a clue where to find it?? I do have a '95 4L80E already wating. since the LT1 conversion the '60 ain't to happy! As such it is time to start looking into a solution. I have built 4L60's with blue plates and koleen steels, I wonder if that would take the abuse, it would be simpler and cheaper???

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you built that 4L60E tight and had good pressures it should hang in there. I'd for sure put a superior super servo in it, both pieces. I think the blue plates are for race only and not for everyday use I'm not sure though. I'll look tomorrow. Put a good shift kit in, turn up the pressure control solenoid 1/4 turn, and get the RIGHT stall converter. Not to high. Id put a new reverse drum and wide Kevlar band also. If your doing it yourself you could build a jam up one for around 5-6 hundred.

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score
ya? that would be cool, I have built 16 700R-4L60E series trans, if I had the seal tools, they all would be still running. 6 failed!! one was with Blues but the torque converter failed on it and took out the rest of it. rats!!! let me know what you all think would be the best "guts" to use??????:evillol: Prolly use tax money to purchase the patrs.

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score
rhino: we need to talk, lost 2nd but not 4th, prior symptoms- slow taking 2nd but held solid?? I think maybe a solinoid???? I did aquire a 2nd core to build so we need to talk about it PLease???

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would think servo first... Band is on in 2nd and 4th, but... the 3/4 clutches are also on in 4th so that may be why you have 4th. If solenoid is bad, usually you lose first and third or second and fourth. If all you are missing is second, I would check the servo first. If you have help, you can get someone to get in the truck, put it in manual low, then second, crawl under the truck, then with a prybar push in the servo. See if you have second then. If it does, it will rule out the band. Call me if you have any questions about to go to the coast for the ATRA transmission seminar won't be online till about Tuesday... 61-238-6620