4L60e shifter loose?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve95

Reaction score
I just picked up a '96 silverado (sold my '94 Sierra) and the shifter it's self is loose. Where the shift handle its self connects. Can I take this off and tighten something? Why is it loose?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If you literally mean where the shifter handle connects to the mechanism, there's a single torx bolt holding it in. Tighten that.

If it's loose farther down, the mechanism has several bolts holding it to the column casting; it's very unlikely those are loose unless it's been removed before and wasn't tightened properly. Most people service the whole column as a unit instead of piecemeal so if it's loose down there it may be the mechanism is cracked due to abuse from the BTSI (brake-to-shift-interlock) solenoid having problems getting out of park.

Carefully peel back the boot; it has a slot around it where it just slips into the plastic surrounding the column. Then you'll see the single bolt I'm talking about that holds the lever in:

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

Steve95

Reaction score
Ok I pulled the boot back over the shifter handle and discovered the torx bolt. Thanks.

AbramF_496

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a question kind of related to this but my shifter linkage under the truck Can I replace that? It falls off from time to time the little ball socket is worn out that clips onto the shift lever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes you can.... parts houses and the dealer can get the parts you need to replace it... you have to replace the whole cable... easy job though..

sent from what use to be a great nation...

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You can also get by with a medium-sized binder clip attached over it. ;) Kid you not. I see a lot of broken shift cables and most are held on with wire, a pile of zip ties, whatever. But the binder clip seems to have stood the test of time as it allows the mechanism to move while still pinching it together. Hey; I'm not one to rig stuff but this can get you by until you can do it right. Shifter cable falling off is no good.

You must be registered for see images attach

Please note the POS in the pic isn't mine. :gr_grin:

Richard

AbramF_496

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright so let's see can I tighten the one I have ?? It's like this one (dur) lol

AbramF_496

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just wanna be able to shift into 1 again :( I probly need to tighten up my shifter on my steering column as well with some locktite :/