[4L60E] - Replace Valve Body Without Removing Transmission?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Just bought a '97 C1500 with 242k on the clock. Truck drives and shift beautifully. If I drive it hard on the highway, the next time I take off from a stop it will BANG the 1-2 shift. Throws the P1870 code. Shutting off the truck and restarting it will "fix" the problem until I drive it hard again.

I bought a valve body from Ken Partin (http://kenpartintransmissionparts.com/4l60e-rebuilt-valve-body) which I believe will fix the problem.

To the question : Can this be installed without removing the transmission? I've searched the site and Google without finding a definitive answer.

Reaction score
why do you think this will fix your issue? valve bodies dont just go bad

It's not that I think the valve body just "went bad". The truck is 19 years old and has 242k miles. It's reasonable to expect parts to wear and seals to leak. I'm sure a tranny shop could repair my valve body without a total replacement, but at $150 bucks I figured I'd just buy a rebuilt one.

I believe this will fix my issue based on what I have read on this site and the reviews on the part I bought.

"
Best parts in existence!!!
You must be registered for see images attach

Posted by Jason on 27th Feb 2016

Received my valve body two days ago. It was my last resort before a rebuild as my trans slipped bad, had really harsh 1-2 shift, and no lockup. This site explained all of my symptoms and said this valve body would fix this really common issue. 2hours or less and my truck runs and drives like new. You have no idea how much I appreciate the expertise and professionalism of this company!!!"

"
Great part.

Posted by Rick Williams on 9th Dec 2015

I recieved my 4l60e valve body a few weeks ago. The part was very well packaged. It came with great information for installation including commonly made installation mistake corrections. The valve body did correct my hard engagment and 1-2 hard shifting as I expected, it also fixed my torque converter shutter when lock-up came on, witch I did not expect. Great product, I would recommend Ken Partin Transmission parts to anyone and will also use them again if needed."

"
Solved my 1st to 2nd hard shift!!

Posted by Charles Groves on 10th Feb 2015

Thank You so much for your rebuilt valve body! Saved me the cost of a new transmission. I did not even know such a thing could be fixed until I visited your site. Your tutorials and instructions were excellent."

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
a hard 1-2 shift is an accumulator, they are 1/10th of the price and just as easy to replace. you should literally never have to replace a valve body they do not wear unless theres part failure and it creates obstuctions in the part.

Reaction score
a hard 1-2 shift is an accumulator, they are 1/10th of the price and just as easy to replace. you should literally never have to replace a valve body they do not wear unless theres part failure and it creates obstuctions in the part.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the hard 1-2 shift is ocurring because of the p1870 code. When the code is thrown it cranks the line pressure to 100% to minimize damage to the tranny.

If it was an accumulator wouldn't it always shift hard? Or are you saying the accumulator is causing the code? Is the accumulator part of the valve body? Does it require specialized tools to replace?

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
codes are cause because something electrically or mechanically is wrong correct? so if what your saying it true which it is partially then why would the valve body fix it? well the accumulator is inside the valve body, sometimes accumulators go bad and can stick. my 93 did it constantly because someone gouged and mushroomed the crap out of it so it would get stuck in the bore.

no it doesnt require anything special to replace. if your valve body is for the proper year go ahead and use it since you already bought it but it was premature to buy it before further diagnoses

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
To answer your question, yes you can change the valvebody with the unit in the truck.

Also, on a 4L60E a P1870 code is frequently caused by a worn control valve in the valvebody.

beardeddummy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To answer your question, yes you can change the valvebody with the unit in the truck.

Also, on a 4L60E a P1870 code is frequently caused by a worn control valve in the valvebody.

I can't remember can you get to the boost valve from the pan? if so may not be a bad idea to put a .500 boost valve in there to help that old transmission out