4L60E MOD advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score
You can buy a low mile 5.3L WITH transmission and wiring harness for $900. No way in hell would I or anyone pay that much for a transmission alone unless the first digit is a T. In proper working order 4L60Es go for less than $300 used. Hit up Craigslist.

maybe in your part of the universe, here in poor farming country, trucks are driven into the ground. There aint many good parts out here, and it is a sellers market. rebuilt go for $1400.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
You need to look harder, bud. Even if it's not in working order you can still have it rebuilt or salvage parts. Paying that much for a used transmission is foolish.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Transmission wise alone it would be a bad idea. With the transfer case it's a fair price. Long as its got like a 30-60 day warranty. $450-600 is the going rate in MS for that transfer case, around $500 for the transmission .

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Junkyards, yes. On Craigslist you can cut that in half.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Transmission wise alone it would be a bad idea. With the transfer case it's a fair price. Long as its got like a 30-60 day warranty. $450-600 is the going rate in MS for that transfer case, around $500 for the transmission .

It's even higher if you source from low mileage yards between tupelo and meridian....I remember that np203 cost $750, it was from Meridian.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
SO you want to source another stock tranny to eat through for $900? WHy? Why would you not take your current one and spend $1200 for a built one that will handle that LT1? Your logic is not making sense.

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score
I'm sorry I thought I asked for help, I did not know that there were so many waiting to flog a man. incidentally the stocker went 198k go figure???

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SO you want to source another stock tranny to eat through for $900? WHy? Why would you not take your current one and spend $1200 for a built one that will handle that LT1? Your logic is not making sense.

Wow, way to not attack someone and beat them with your opinion. Wouldn't your post have been better served to give him ideas on how to beef up the trans he wants to buy, an not call him an idiot?

:nono:

Op, I think the only way it will live is to go inside it with the previously mentioned mods. If you have a good core on hand I would just build that up instead of getting another stock trans.....

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes blue95 was rude but he was also correct to suggest not putting a stock trans in the truck

IF he had read a little more he would realized he was wrong and that the guy was gonna build up the trans on his own.

my input is you will save time and money to buy a pre built trans and just use that. my other opinion is to get rid of the lt1 and go with a lsx.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm sorry I thought I asked for help, I did not know that there were so many waiting to flog a man. incidentally the stocker went 198k go figure???

You asked for help and opinions, I was asking questions to figure out what you meant, and so far your logic did not make sense to me, I am flogging no one.

Wow, way to not attack someone and beat them with your opinion. Wouldn't your post have been better served to give him ideas on how to beef up the trans he wants to buy, an not call him an idiot?

:nono:

Op, I think the only way it will live is to go inside it with the previously mentioned mods. If you have a good core on hand I would just build that up instead of getting another stock trans.....

I did offer advice, I asked if he would consider spending the money on his current one to send and get rebuilt to handle that lt1 instead of spending it on a stock tranny with miles on it only to spend even more on a few better parts that still would not handle being flogged on with a lt1.

yes blue95 was rude but he was also correct to suggest not putting a stock trans in the truck

IF he had read a little more he would realized he was wrong and that the guy was gonna build up the trans on his own.

my input is you will save time and money to buy a pre built trans and just use that. my other opinion is to get rid of the lt1 and go with a lsx.

I do not feel I was rude, I asked questions and stated his logic did not make sense to me, he is asking for advice and opinions. I also backed up my opinion.

I do not understand why you would not spend that $900 on better parts that could go into the current tranny that would easily handle that lt1 instead of buying another and only putting a few upgraded parts in it and hope it holds.

See my logic?

You could easily buy a full upgraded rebuilt kit to handle that lt1 now and either do it yourself and take it to a shop and have it done for close to the price of a used tranny with miles on it and only a few better parts.