4L60e ---> 4L80e

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
Well heres the way I look at it, I have replaced the motor and the rearend so I'm 2/3s of the way to a new truck. Can someone humor me and tell me what all would be involved in a 60e to 80e conversion for a 98 k1500 with 5.7L vortec? straight plug and play? Computer issues or what? Current tranny has 234k currently on it, nothing ever done to it except for consistent fluid changes and a little bit of Lucas tranny treatment every now and then. Thanks.

1BAD9T7

Reaction score
I can't give you all the answers, but do know this...

The 80 is longer in length than the 60 and takes differant computer programming to run. I am going to be doing the swap myself in my Yukon. I have the transmission already, just am looking inot the computer situation. I may go with a stand alone system to bypass any hassle.

Jason

Smith

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i thought you could get the pre 96 80e's and run them easily

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Should be no need for one if you have a stock vortec. Swap would be moderately complicated yet I would rather do it in conjunction with a 6.0 or something similar.

hquick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The PCM can be tuned for the 80E by doing a trans segment swap.
You need to run 4 wires (from memory) to the PCM from the PRNDL switch on the trans...as well as a twisted pair for the front speed sensor.
No harness necessary.
A few wire relocations at the PCM.
A transfer case input drive shaft swap (buy a second hand NP241/manual t/fer case and swap the input shaft).
Get a rear drive shaft (tail shaft) from the same model HD truck...which came stock with the 14b rear (if that's what you have) OR have your tailshaft shortened 42mm (1 3/4")...which is the difference in length between the 60E and 80E.
Re-drill the holes for your crossmember as it needs to be moved back 42mm.
Think that's it...off the top of my head.
Did mine a while back. Did one for a buddy in about 9hrs start to finish one night whilst in Canada 6 months ago.

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
Thanks, I can manage that. It won't be before my current 60e starts ******* up, until then I'm gonna keep ****** the hell out of her