454ss/ sport steering gear box.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goatman

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have looked and read threads. No direct answer!

I have basically rebuilt the entire truck and we added a 454ss/sport steering gear box to the truck to help it out on the trails and all, plus it sounded like a good idea at the time.

I have run into to people in the threads saying it is not able to run on the 4wds dunno why. It bolted up just fine and all my stuff went on just like it should.

Can anyone give me a good answer to this before I risk driving it and tearing it all up.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
IIRC it's not that the 454SS/Sport steering boxes can't be run on 4WD trucks, just that most people don't recommend it as 4WD trucks have a higher center of gravity and are more prone to rollover incidents with too much steering input in a panic situation.

Goatman

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh ok. I only have a 4 inch lift with 33s anyway. I'm not worried about that. Drove much bigger before lol. Besides who wouldn't love a responsive 4wd?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't run a quick ratio box on a 4WD (maybe if it was lowered, maybe...), but to each their own. I know I've seen other people here do it over the years.

The stock 4WD box feels fine to me.