454s - What kind of MPG are you getting?

454 MPG (Average)

• Under 6

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6-8

• 8-10

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • 10-12

• 12-14

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Over 14 (Damn you!)

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
A member on here "vortexas" or something like that started a group on Facebook for obs chevy performance and he is like a 454 guru.

Crummins

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just FYI, with my Cummins swap I now get 16 average.

Best ever was 19.9

Worst ever was 12

It has every bit of power my old 454 had (had a banks exhaust and intake) as well

I still have 4.10 gears and stock tires (265 I think), with 3.73 or less it would do better as I am sitting 2100-2200 at 60

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you notice much of an increase in your MPG after the tune up, or is that about what you've always averaged?

When I look at my records, and that list is short since I haven't been able to drive it much since I bought it in April, the tune-up did not really effect my fuel economy but it did help my miss at idle and general driveability. I did the intake reseal shortly after I purchased it over memorial day weekend and did a lot of "While I'm in there" work. What I have noticed is my mileage drops 2 mpg if my gas sits for more than 2.5-3weeks. After that I'm getting 9 or so MPG and usually those tanks are 1-2mo old, so if I have a few trips @ 7mpg before a refill then that would drop the average considerably. I've had 1 fresh tank (<24hr old) that averaged 10.7mpg, and that was because I did about 80mph for about 120-150mi.

Most of the gas I put in it comes from Sheetz. They put one in less than a year ago near my place so I have been using its gas for a baseline since they have new tanks and they sell a large volume of gas, so it should be pretty clean and stay fresh for my usages. Currently there's a tank of Hess in there and sometime today I will start filling up at the Chevron down the road since they are a Top Tier gas supplier.. I'd expect, MAYBE, a .5mpg increase... but its more than welcome!

Please note: All MPG numbers used above have not been corrected for my tire size. That is simple, Calc'd from the ODO mpg.
Thus,
9.3 is about 10.3,
10.7 is actually 11.9, and
11.3 is actually 12.5
Due to my tire size difference from 30.5" to 33.9" OD that gives me a multiplier factor of 1.11 that I have to use to get the correct miles traveled.

BTW, I had to correct my original post. My memory was wrong. 13.5 is what my bronco gets.

Also, I use an app on my phone called "acar" to keep track of my maintenance, mileage, and such-as. About 5min ago I sent them an email to see if they could incorporate a conversion factor or something so that the actual MPG will be calculated.

Last edited:

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
A member on here "vortexas" or something like that started a group on Facebook for obs chevy performance and he is like a 454 guru.

Thanks Scotty, I'll have to check his page out.

When I look at my records, and that list is short since I haven't been able to drive it much since I bought it in April, the tune-up did not really effect my fuel economy but it did help my miss at idle and general driveability. I did the intake reseal shortly after I purchased it over memorial day weekend and did a lot of "While I'm in there" work. What I have noticed is my mileage drops 2 mpg if my gas sits for more than 2.5-3weeks. After that I'm getting 9 or so MPG and usually those tanks are 1-2mo old, so if I have a few trips @ 7mpg before a refill then that would drop the average considerably. I've had 1 fresh tank (<24hr old) that averaged 10.7mpg, and that was because I did about 80mph for about 120-150mi.

Most of the gas I put in it comes from Sheetz. They put one in less than a year ago near my place so I have been using its gas for a baseline since they have new tanks and they sell a large volume of gas, so it should be pretty clean and stay fresh for my usages. Currently there's a tank of Hess in there and sometime today I will start filling up at the Chevron down the road since they are a Top Tier gas supplier.. I'd expect, MAYBE, a .5mpg increase... but its more than welcome!

Please note: All MPG numbers used above have not been corrected for my tire size. That is simple, Calc'd from the ODO mpg.
Thus,
9.3 is about 10.3,
10.7 is actually 11.9, and
11.3 is actually 12.5
Due to my tire size difference from 30.5" to 33.9" OD that gives me a multiplier factor of 1.11 that I have to use to get the correct miles traveled.

BTW, I had to correct my original post. My memory was wrong. 13.5 is what my bronco gets.

Also, I use an app on my phone called "acar" to keep track of my maintenance, mileage, and such-as. About 5min ago I sent them an email to see if they could incorporate a conversion factor or something so that the actual MPG will be calculated.

Pretty big difference with old gas. Wouldn't have thought. I guess that'll be another reason to drive my Burb more often. Never heard of Sheetz or Hess. I've got a Shell down the street that usually has the best price (and take CCs) around me. Maybe I'll try some other stations and see if there's any discernible difference.

" 'cause math" - nice :)