454 TBI vs 454 Vortec OR 350 vortec?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
The point of this thread is the personal experience with the 454’s or the 350 vortec. I’m interested in replacing my ECSB 350 TBI Z71 because my stepson is taking it over with a CCLB 4x4 of the same platform.

Vortec engines seem to need major repairs over their predecessors, but is that a fact? I’m only interested in the 5 speed transmission versions. I want real world facts about all engines in the crew cab (four full door) platform with a manual transmission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I can give you some of what you want, but I must ask what is the intended use of the truck? If you're not towing or spinning 40" tires the 350 Vortec is likely what you want. The 454 will walk all over the 350 in terms of towing stock for stock, mod for mod, there is no comparison. I own both, and I've owned both as NA and supercharged. The 454 just does not back down to a load the way a 350 does, and the 350 puts up a damn good fight. That said, in a lighter truck, the 350s legs do shine.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve had all of them, but not stick. 2 TBI 454s, one 454 Vortec, numerous 350s. The TBI’s were great. Both were lifted, both would smoke the tires off. One with 40” boggers n 3.73s. The Vortec 454 was an awesome truck. I found out without trying it would smoke both rear tires just stopping in the gas. The 350s did ok, but nothing compared to the 454. The Vortec 454 got better mileage than equivalent 350 trucks, not working as hard either. IMO, a 350 is too small of an engine to put in a 6500+plus truck for anything other than normal driving.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I tow occasionally, but probably not enough to justify the big block. My current truck gets me 12-13 mpg, so 10 mpg is not too much of a deterrent.

The downside is I’m only finding big blocks in the 5 speed platform. I have seen two small blocks for sale, but they’re fewer and further choices.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like I said, my Vortec 454 got better gas mileage than the same truck with a 350. Even in a half ton truck. I had a CCSB with the 350, was a great truck, but was a dog with that motor. I wanted to put a 454/5-speed that I had into it, but had no where to do it. I’ve only ever had one stick truck, one that I built lol.

vr1967

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 96 CCLB srw was 350/speed (only small block I have owned in about the last 30 years) and while no powerhouse, it would tow reasonably well,

My 2000 CCSB is 454, it did tow better, but I don’t tow much with it anymore

Last edited:

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just to add to the thread: Make sure you factor in the rear axle gear ratio.

The C/K 2500 had 3.73 ratio standard (4.10 optional,) while the C/K 3500 had 4.10 standard (4.56 optional.)

I have a K3500 CCLB SRW with the 5.7/4L80e/4.10. It's not a powerhouse, but gets the job done. Actually, it feels pretty nimble for the size of the truck. It came from the country as a farm truck and had a gooseneck, so I know it was worked. Sitting at 207,000 miles. I've hauled a pallet of concrete bags (3,200 lbs.) and the truck does fine. I see these trucks all the time towing trailers and doing work around here.

Sorry, no experience with the manual. But would probably haul/tow better than 4L80E? I can't remember if there is a towing difference between the 2 on the owner's manual.

Last edited:

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Just to add to the thread: Make sure you factor in the rear axle gear ratio.

The C/K 2500 had 3.73 ratio standard (4.10 optional,) while the C/K 3500 had 4.10 standard (4.56 optional.)

I have a K3500 CCLB SRW with the 5.7/4L80e/4.10. It's not a powerhouse, but gets the job done. Actually, it feels pretty nimble for the size of the truck. It came from the country as a farm truck and had a gooseneck, so I know it was worked. Sitting at 207,000 miles. I've hauled a pallet of concrete bags (3,200 lbs.) and the truck does fine. I see these trucks all the time towing trailers and doing work around here.

Sorry, no experience with the manual. But would probably haul/tow better than 4L80E? I can't remember if there is a towing difference between the 2 on the owner's manual.

I have my current truck geared with 4.10’s from 3.73’s simply because of how my engine is setup the power is where it needs to be. I’m strongly considering the big block, and I didn’t list the Diesel engine because I worked on them in the Army, so I really don’t want to revisit my youth.

At most I would add in electric fans, better air intake, and full exhaust to the big block.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Is your current truck a 5 speed, and is it the light duty 5 speed? If so then the crew cab 3500 with 5 speed is gonna be the NV4500 and it's a very different driving experience. Essentially you're driving a 4 speed with overdrive, because the low 1st gear is rarely used unless you're trying to get a heavy load off the line. It shifts "heavy" despite the softening up of the carbon-fiber syncros, if they're still in there and haven't been destroyed by someone using the wrong lube, since the correct stuff is $20+ a quart.

For fun factor *combined with* reliability, I'd go with the TBI 454. The Vortec 454 will kick it's ass but then you have the occasional expensive battle with the injectors (don't forget the regulator and be careful with the somewhat fragile fuel rail), and the POS plastic distributor that the cap tabs break off and the bushing up top wears out. The Vortec EGR tube setup sucks. Also, Vortecs of big or small block variety will require you to have a scan tool good enough to read the cam retard angle in order to set them up properly once you replace that junk distributor. Can't do it with a timing light.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
And yeah, I've run both in 5 speed form,

1994 3500HD with full transplanted 1996 drivetrain Vortec 7.4/NV4500
You must be registered for see images attach

And 1995 3500HD TBI 7.4/NV4500
You must be registered for see images attach

Mind you those HD's had the 4.63 and 5.13 rear gears and really jump when you mash it despite how heavy those trucks are.

Richard