454 SS Steering box questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrmaka

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a few questions involving swapping the 454 steering box into my 96 scsb.

How much of a difference is the steering ratio?

Do I need to use a 454 pitman arm

Is there any clearancing needed to do the swap?

Is it worth to do the swap outright or wait till I start upgrading my front suspension again.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
depends, 4wd or 2wd? the boxes labeled for a 454ss at any parts sstore are not a 454 box. ones roughly 2:1 the other is 3:1(454) cnat rmemeber those numbers for certain, just an example) the standard replacement boxes are that of every other generic truck. if you want the 454ss ratio get a rebuild kit for any box. theres only 3 or 4 offered for our trucks with minimal differences. look uo how to pull it apart and grab yourself a sttering box out of an fbody i used the gears out of my old 85 z28. put it back together with the fbody gears and put it back in your truck.

the reasons to do this
a) 454ss boxes arent offered
b) without dropping dime on a redhead box the loads and tolerances on any parts tore box is **** so they arent bolt on and go, they are either too sloppy or too tight
c) in consideration of poor box rebuilds form parts store brands your better off learning how to do it yourself with the desired, unavailable mimicking parts.

how do i know this? i work at a parts store, (laugh ahaha parts guy) i called my supplier, yelled at him, got offered a job, quickly decided i didnt want to work at cardone

chrmaka

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 2wd. My friend is parting his ss out since his son managed to total it at 91k miles. He told me I can have any part I want except the motor, trans, and certain interior bits.

He told me I come have the staring box for 30$ and a beer.

So for that price it's a good deal.

Now the fbody gearing. How would that difference from the ss box.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
It's a bolt-in. The box's external dimensions are the same as the standard box. The difference is only in the ratio. Uses the same pitman.
Takes out approx. 3/4 of a turn lock to lock. I had mine made up by a local rebuilder. I actually wanted to have a full turn lock to lock taken out. Rebuilder said that even the stock spec SS box would make the steering too twitchy & that a full turn was overkill. I haven't found the steering to be too sensitive with the SS spec'd box.
One of the best mods I've done to my '98. (Black one)
There is one other mod that I'd like to do & that's an AGR performance P/S pump. You could use their box too, if you want. But Yikes! It ain't cheap!

Here's the articles that I've sorta used as a guide on my truck's builds. The first six on this page.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=www....7.23322j0j4&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

chrmaka

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I looked at AGR. Their products ar4e a bit on the pricey side.

I'll do a bit more research regarding their PS pump.

I'll pick up the 454 steering box tomorrow. Probably swap it over tomorrow aswell.

Thanks

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
I have a 2wd. My friend is parting his ss out since his son managed to total it at 91k miles. He told me I can have any part I want except the motor, trans, and certain interior bits.

He told me I come have the staring box for 30$ and a beer.

So for that price it's a good deal.

Now the fbody gearing. How would that difference from the ss box.

fbody and 454ss share the same stuff. same turn ratio in most cases or better.

Barcdawg

Reaction score
From what I'm reading here a 3rd gen Camaro steering box will swap into a gmt400 truck? only 2wd or will 4x4 work too?

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I looked at AGR. Their products ar4e a bit on the pricey side.

I'll do a bit more research regarding their PS pump.

I'll pick up the 454 steering box tomorrow. Probably swap it over tomorrow aswell.

Thanks

I was pretty seriously looking at the AGR box, but it seems like a lot of folks out there have issues with communication, serious delays, and other issues dealing with this business. Look up the BBB site for them and read all of the formal complaints before ordering. I decided on a redhead, simply because it seemed like a more honest, more reputable company. I have zero complains with my redhead box. Buy once, cry once.