454 big block vortec mods?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys it's been a long time since I've been ok the site! I've got a new truck that has not been added to my sig yet. It's a 98 gmc 2500 with the 454 big block and 4l80e trans. It's also solid axle swapped.

Anyways I've been thinking about getting more power out of the big block. Was thinking maybe a carb swap with some cam and head work. I would like to keep the fuel injection but if it's anything like the 350 vortec then forget it. This truck will not see any time on the road ( way to tall ) so it's main use will be mud bogging and wheeling. Thanks for any tips!

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What are you doing that a 454 doesn't have enough power? :think:

tscherbi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Totally different fuel injection system. You can really do a lot of fairly cheap mods to get good hp. 411 pcm bigger injectors make a big difference, with a tune.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm trying to turn 40" tires in the mud... You can never have too much power for that lol. No pics today but soon.

So as far as the fuel injection goes this truck doesn't have the spider in the intake like the 350? As I mention the fuel injection is helpful while at the sand dunes and going up hills so that's one reason to keep it, but yeah I want a lot more power than what I have now.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hahah I like your reaction!

The truck is set up pretty well and it goes through a lot. Just want that lumpy idle and some good high rpm power. Want to do it pretty cheap. Figured I'd see what my options are.