454/ 4L80 install question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SlowJoe

Reaction score
It's not very convenient to access the back of the engine/ bellhousing bolts the way the engine sits in these trucks. Has anyone tried to install a 454 with the transmission bolted onto it? It would be much more convenient to install them together, if there's enough room, so I thought I would ask before I try it.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not very convenient to access the back of the engine/ bellhousing bolts the way the engine sits in these trucks. Has anyone tried to install a 454 with the transmission bolted onto it? It would be much more convenient to install them together, if there's enough room, so I thought I would ask before I try it.

Thanks in advance.
Take the front end completely off so you have unobstructed access to the engine bay. Then install the engine/trans via your engine crane - use a ratchet strap connected to the transmission's extension housing and front/top of the crane to help level/stablize the load.

Deancr11

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Kind of need to know if it's two or four wheel drive or if your planing on dropping it in from the top or sliding it in from the front. 2 wheel drive you get a bit more room to drop it in but all in all sliding in from the front would be easier

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Kind of need to know if it's two or four wheel drive or if your planing on dropping it in from the top or sliding it in from the front. 2 wheel drive you get a bit more room to drop it in but all in all sliding in from the front would be easier
I use the same technique as i described above when a t case is attached but i will strap a small moving dolly to the bottom of the t case so if it makes contact with the ground, it just rolls. Ill use two ratchet straps. This only applies to aluminum t cases. Cast iron cases, id just install after the fact and attach the strap to the output shaft, leaving the 4x4 ext housing off the transmission or securing it to themext housing if it allowed for it.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're installing the trans with the engine...have the vehicle jacked WAY up so there's room for the trans to hang down as the engine is dropped into place.

When it was me, I bought a proper 3-foot long 1/2" drive-to-3/8" drive impact extension. That, and a 3/8" impact swivel socket should make short work of bellhousing bolts in-the-vehicle. If the bellhousing bolts have the extended-stud feature, you'll need a semi-deep impact swivel socket.

The downside is that SK Tools is now owned by the Communist Chinese. Perhaps other companies have a similar item. (Snap-On has a competing product, but it's POORLY DESIGNED. The Snap-On unit is a 3/8 extension with a 1/2" female drive end. The shank is thin, won't transmit impact torque very well. The SK item is a 1/2" drive extension with a 3/8 male square on the end--the shank is much thicker and stiffer.)

Last edited:

SlowJoe

Reaction score
It's 4x4 but the transfer case is removed. I am sure it would be too long with the transfer case installed. I have installed engines with the transmission together on other vehicles, but never with a big block and never in this bodystyle. I dont want to pull the front end, because that would be more work than just installing them separately. Was hoping to see if anyone had actually done it before I try. Thanks for the comments.