400 C.I. Vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't take a 400 block at all. Cheap castings, with low nickel percentages mean they wear very quickly. ( any older SBC / BBC / Pontiac / Olds / Cadillac / Buick engine has these issues though )

Buick blocks are supposed to be higher nickel. Are you really denigrating all of the older engines? They've made HP for years and some people woulds still rather have old heads rather than the newer ones, at least in the case of Big Block Chevys.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
Because the wrist pin doesn't quite quite reach the bottom ring on the piston. This allows for a more streetable application due to less chance for oil consumption to occur

ummmmmmmmmmmm. how bought just build a 383? its a 400 stroke with a .030 350 overbore. simple and effective. ford pistons do nothing been there done that. if your boring it your gonna want aftermarket pistons anyhow? your making it way more complicated than it really has to be. companies have done theri homework an aftermarket piston will fix any small issue a factory piston has which isnt much.

ive seen a 400 vortec and a 377 vortec. needless to say the 383 one blew it out of the water with vortec heads. 400 blocks arent all that great for a driver trust me on that. lower nickle content etc. if you want some super stroked out small block its possible to eceed the 4.000+ stroke mark but youll pay for it and by that time ditch the vortec system, itd be a hinderance more than anything if you go that big.

honestly not trying to be harsh but if you dont know that people have been putting 400 cranks in 350s for years and your attempting some makeshift engine with random pistons to be different id avise against it. Ive been there for fun. we made 750hp from a 307 small block in my old shop class, used ford rods and pistons, a crappy forged crankshaft from a blown up 350 and some other random stuff with a 500 shot of ntrous and a 3.8 supercharger. we blew it up on purpose to see how much it could handle, using parts that arent really made to be together might not be the best thing for longevity just saying.

also with a .030 overbore youll need a 3.97 stroke and with a .060 youll need a 3.92 stroke. ive never seen either of those unless you go full blown custom using a 350 block. still a 400 block is a poor choice.

Last edited:

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
ummmmmmmmmmmm. how bought just build a 383? its a 400 stroke with a .030 350 overbore. simple and effective. ford pistons do nothing been there done that. if your boring it your gonna want aftermarket pistons anyhow? your making it way more complicated than it really has to be. companies have done theri homework an aftermarket piston will fix any small issue a factory piston has which isnt much.

ive seen a 400 vortec and a 377 vortec. needless to say the 383 one blew it out of the water with vortec heads. 400 blocks arent all that great for a driver trust me on that. lower nickle content etc. if you want some super stroked out small block its possible to eceed the 4.000+ stroke mark but youll pay for it and by that time ditch the vortec system, itd be a hinderance more than anything if you go that big.

honestly not trying to be harsh but if you dont know that people have been putting 400 cranks in 350s for years and your attempting some makeshift engine with random pistons to be different id avise against it. Ive been there for fun. we made 750hp from a 307 small block in my old shop class, used ford rods and pistons, a crappy forged crankshaft from a blown up 350 and some other random stuff with a 500 shot of ntrous and a 3.8 supercharger. we blew it up on purpose to see how much it could handle, using parts that arent really made to be together might not be the best thing for longevity just saying.

also with a .030 overbore youll need a 3.97 stroke and with a .060 youll need a 3.92 stroke. ive never seen either of those unless you go full blown custom.

My thoughts exactly...

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
I'm using a 350 block.... I'm gonna go marine intake and everything else that is required for such a build. I have been doing my home work. They are not actually Ford brand pistons either. They are designed for a 302 stroked to a 331. Thus making them after market. The wrist pin not getting into the ring pack is the only advantage I am after with that. Look I've done my home work. I don't want to be like everyone else with 383's and such. By god I saddled this horse now let me ride it

Want to be different? build an 8.1L, Huge stroke, huge torque, and reliable.