1954 3100 turbo 400 5.7 vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pard1

Reaction score
Hey guys. New to the Forum. Forgive me if some of these Q's have been asked. I have searched pretty well to this point.
I am in the process of rebuilding my grandpa's 1955 1st series 3600. I have converted the chassis to S10 and have a sniper efi ready to go on.
The Q's I have are regarding mating the Vortec to the turbo 400.
What Flywheel do I need?
Can the original flywheel work that was mated to a 4l60e?
What starter would work?
What torque converter is best?
Is there a shim needed for the starter or tranny oil pump?
Thank you in advance!!
Pard1

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. New to the Forum. Forgive me if some of these Q's have been asked. I have searched pretty well to this point.
I am in the process of rebuilding my grandpa's 1955 1st series 3600. I have converted the chassis to S10 and have a sniper efi ready to go on.
The Q's I have are regarding mating the Vortec to the turbo 400.
What Flywheel do I need?
Can the original flywheel work that was mated to a 4l60e?
What starter would work?
What torque converter is best?
Is there a shim needed for the starter or tranny oil pump?
Thank you in advance!!
Pard1
What Vortec engine? Gen1 or Gen3/4 small block? What size (5.7/4.8/5.3/6.0/6.2)?

Does it have a cam (ie a performance cam)?

About how much power and what sort of RPMs will it see once on the road?

You won't know if you need to shim the converter until you go to bolt it up. You need appx 1/8-3/16" clearance between converter and flex plate.

Same will probably apply to the starter.

Pard1

Reaction score
Thanks man!
The 5.7 vortec is out of a 98 gmc 1500.
No cam currently, possibly down the road. It's not going to be a big power rig. 300hp maybe
373 rear
Will the 98 starter work?

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cant speak for sure to the stock starter (it probably will work) but a stock th400 torque converter will work and (someone can correct me if im wrong) a stock 4L60E flexplate should also work.

Is the th400 a fresh rebuild or a known good unit?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Use the starter that came with the engine. Use the same shims it had when it was in the donor vehicle. Shims are select-fit, you use whatever is needed, including "none" sometimes.

Use the flexplate that came with the engine IF (big IF) it will bolt to the TH400 torque converter. First Guess: Three out of possibly six bolt holes on the converter will line up with three holes in the flexplate. That's probably good enough. 500+ ft/lb Buicks and Cadillacs only had three bolts holding the converter to the flexplate.

I have never needed to shim a torque converter except the one time I had a vehicle (boat) that used a plate bolted between engine and transmission as a motor-mount. Aside from that...NEVER.

The "best" torque converter will depend on cam, compression, displacement, rear gearing, vehicle weight, and probably a dozen more factors. QUALITY torque converters are EXPENSIVE. Junk torque converters from mass-market "famous names" are not optimum.