4 Link w/ coilovers ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This isn't gonna happen for a while but I'm already collecting parts so I need to figure out exactly what coilovers I need. So I know for sure I'm gonna run a 4 link from CA Chassis works inside the frame rails, I need the space. :) With a Panhard bar that may eventually go to a watts link. What I don't know is exactly what coilover and spring I need. I want the truck to almost tuck tire with a 28" tall tire. 0 gap in the rear, and tuck about 1" in front. What shock compressed height/expanded height do I need and what spring length and weight? Gonna be running 2" springs and spindles up front until I swap them out for coilovers next winter (more to come on that). Right now I just need to figure out the rear.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Check QA1. Not cheap, but warranted for life & fully rebuildable, although, only by a QA1 certified rebuilder. They are what all my hot rod buddies use.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Check QA1. Not cheap, but warranted for life & fully rebuildable, although, only by a QA1 certified rebuilder. They are what all my hot rod buddies use.
Word, I have owned some QA1 product's and their stuff is nice!

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Word, I have owned some QA1 product's and their stuff is nice!

I agree, they're super nice. When it comes to knowing length required and so forth, you'll probably have to do what I did and wait till you actually switch to the 4-link then after setting the axle where you want it to be, measuring the required length(this will be your ride height setting), then measure bottomed out length and fully extended length(mock up some temp limiting straps so you can measure), then add ~1" to total length for vehicle weight compression. Then order them with those measurements and either tell them the approximate weight that will be on rear loaded and unloaded or give them the wheelbase and curb weight and make sure they know it's a pickup. Also tell them what your plans for it will be and they can tune them to be close to perfect when they arrive. How many are you planning to run?

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was planning on just the two. Can you run more? What are the benefits if so. And I've also seen people put them on angles. I had planned on not doing this because I'm not sure if there's an advantage to it or not.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Running them at an angle changes the travel of the axle:shock ratio....when mounted vertical, shocks compress 1" for every 1" the axle goes up....when at an angle, shocks compress less than 1" for every 1" axle moves up. This allows for the coils to be run tighter and still keep the softer compression of a lighter setting....ofcourse this can also be translated as you have to run the coils tighter to hold up the weight of the vehicle. The max angle you want your coilovers to be at is 45-degrees fully compressed. Any more and you've got an unstable moment in your rear suspension(wheel hop, suspension bounce/shudder, etc). That's under heavy torque load usually, like accelerating hard out of a corner.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good to know. I'll def offset them a little. So as of right now you guys havent answered my questions, but in your defense I was kinda askin for a handout,:D. It seems I will have to get the truck torn apart, set the axle where I want it, mount my coilover tabs, and the measure with the truck at ride height. I am curious about the spring weight though. I don't wanna get to stiff or not enough either. Anybody got a ballpark where I can start lookin?

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I don't remember offhand, I let them adjust mine before sending, then my uncle took it out for a spin and after being gone about 2hrs came back and said "NOW they're adjusted...." They've been perfect ever since. It rides like a mid-sized buick, but handles about like a sport-tuned truck should. I also don't remember all the specs on them, they're the 4-way adjustable shocks(allows adjustments for all 4 things like compression, damper, etc). In relation to the differential housing and viewing from the rear, they're kindof mounted in this fashion: X-O-X where the dashes are the axle tubes and O is the differential....the shocks on front of axle housing have axle mounts near wheels and frame mounts near center of crossover; the shocks on back of axle housing have axle mounts next to differential and frame mounts on frame rails. I know qa1 said that tuning 4 coilovers to work in sync was going to be difficult, hence why the price tag was almost $2500.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
wow that sounds like an awesome setup. I'll probably go with just one pair to begin with then maybe add the second pair later.

btw I'd love some pics of that setup.